Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What adjustment should I match?  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
What adjustment should I match?
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
I have 2 laptops, 1 for the desk and one for travel. I recently was using the desk laptop to program an access point. I plugged the access point into the network port (on the laptop), opened a browser, entered the ip and I was in.

Knowing that I would be using the travel laptop the next day I tried the same thing but the travel laptop doesn't connect. Instead, when I type in the ip it won't even try since I'm not on the internet already.

Got to be a setting somewhere in the road warrior laptop.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Online telemarv

Re: What adjustment should I match?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
Your road laptop has probably been assigned a static IP for a different subnet.

Open the network settings and check the TCP/IP settings for the adaptor.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline Grider

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »
TCP/IP is set to obtain IP address automatically under the tab of Local Area Connection Properties.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Actually I'm surprised your desk computer connected. Your problem is probably because of the security settings, the first allowed it the second didn't. So you lucked out. Normally what you do is look at the IPs assigned to everything on your network by your router then choose a static IP for the AP within that range but not likely to be used by the router DHCP. Normally that would be in the range of 192.168.1.xxx

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Grider

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I understand what your saying but neither time was anything on the network or connected to the router.

Desk computer connected to AP via Ethernet cable, open browser type 192.168.1.245 and we are in.

Travel computer connected to AP via Ethernet cable, open browser type 192.168.1.245 and error message.

Both computers XP-Pro and both network connections enabled.

Connect AP to network and set travel laptop to wireless and type 192.168.1.245 and we are in again.

Why doesn't the travel laptop connect the same way the desk laptop does?

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
Hookup each laptop in the two different scenarios....one works one doesn't. Open the Command prompt on each laptop and type IPCONFIG /ALL. Compare the two laptops and post what you get.

Online Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
Hookup each laptop in the two different scenarios....one works one doesn't. Open the Command prompt on each laptop and type IPCONFIG /ALL. Compare the two laptops and post what you get.

That's great advice!

I understand what your saying but neither time was anything on the network or connected to the router.

That's a problem.

Desk computer connected to AP via Ethernet cable, open browser type 192.168.1.245 and we are in.

Travel computer connected to AP via Ethernet cable, open browser type 192.168.1.245 and error message.

My guess... and this is purely a guess based on what you have posted... the first has a Static IP and the second is running DHCP. You've already said the second one is set for DHCP, so you need a DHCP server to hand out your IP. Most AP's will not have a DHCP server because you can only run one DHCP server per network.

Most routers have a DHCP server built into them so that explains below.

Connect AP to network and set travel laptop to wireless and type 192.168.1.245 and we are in again.

Correct... connected to the network you will get in to the AP. This is because both computers are on the network and so is the AP.

Also... I don't know any specs on the PC's. Are you using a crossover cable? Most of the time you need a crossover cable to connect a PC directly to a device, such as an AP.

What are you trying to accomplish by plugging the PC's directly into the AP?
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
    • Voice, Video, Unified Communication and Healthcare Solutions Ocala, Gainesville and all of Central Florida
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
John

Can you connect the travel machine to a router and get on the network?

Have you cleared your browser cache?
Steve Lane, MCSE

Voice, Video, Data and Managed IT Solutions
featuring ESI, Cisco, Avaya, Ascom, Dell and Microsoft.

Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville and all of Central Florida
Licensed and Insured - ES12000683

www.CentralFloridaPhones.com
www.ESIphoneSystems.com

Offline Grider

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:53:34 AM »
RBF & Marc wanting ipconfig/all information.

All information returned is the same with 1 exception (not including host name ans such that should be different). The exception is IP Routing Enabled. On the travel machine it is set to YES, on the desk machine it is set to NO.

Marc: I am not using a crossover cable but there may be something to that. Possibly the desk machine (being newer) has auto sense capability?

Marc: Plugging directly into the AP is the described procedure to set up pre install configuration per the AP Linksys manual. I did everything (almost) that I wanted to do to the AP via the desk machine. It was when I wanted to do one more thing and the desk machine was occupied that I thought I would use the travel machine and hit the wall. Better here than out in the world I guess.

Steve: I have connected the travel machine to networks numerous times both wireless and cable. Never a problem.

I have never cleared the cache on either machine, in fact, I never have cleared the cache on any machine ever. I suppose I should learn more about that.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Online Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:36:52 AM »
Marc: Plugging directly into the AP is the described procedure to set up pre install configuration per the AP Linksys manual. I did everything (almost) that I wanted to do to the AP via the desk machine. It was when I wanted to do one more thing and the desk machine was occupied that I thought I would use the travel machine and hit the wall. Better here than out in the world I guess.

The manual doesn't say anything about setting a static IP address before connecting to setup the configuration?

My guess is it's either an issue with the IP address or a crossover cable is needed.

Again... these are complete guesses because I am not there to put my hands on things and see everything.

When you ran the ipconfig command, was that while you were connected to the network or when you were connected to the AP directly?
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline Grider

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
The manual doesn't say anything about setting a static IP address before connecting to setup the configuration?

Perhaps I misspoke. The AP has a default address of 192.168.1.245 and when you connect it to a network that is where you will find it to begin naming it and setting up whether it is open or secured and so on.

So I take it to my customers location and plug it in and it comes right to life as an open wireless network and my goal was to change it to a secure wep. I'm on the network and the AP is on the network but I'll be danged I can't log into the AP dashboard by typing 192.168.1.245.

My laptop and my blackberry can both see it and the best I can tell is it is 10.1.10.14 but if I type that in the address bar I don't get the dashboard. I ran a range of IP addresses with the ip scanner hoping to find it but no luck.

The one thing I wanted to avoid happened. I got there and couldn't address it. :058:

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
Can you PING 192.168.1.245 from your laptop?

Offline Grider

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
Can you PING 192.168.1.245 from your laptop?

No, but I like the way you think. It was one of the first things I tried.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Okey Dokie...no PING=no talk

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL on your laptop while on their network. Go to ANOTHER PC on their network and do the same. I'd bet on a subnet issue or a DHCP server reaasigning the IP address of your AP.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »
John...you might also try this...

http://www.colasoft.com/mac_scanner/

It's a free download.

I use their Colasoft MAC scanner to ID MAC and IP addresses on the network. It'll show everything hooked up. I'd run it without the AP hooked up then again with the AP hooked up and look for the new IP address.

WARNING...I have used this before however at one site I had to reboot the router after I ran the utility as they lost VoIP connectivity between two PBXs after initiating the run session.

Offline Grider

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
Thanks for the link. I left the AP at the site running open. When I return tomorrow I'll have more to work with.

I use ipscan 3.0 but you gotta know the range (which I didn't).

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
    • Voice, Video, Unified Communication and Healthcare Solutions Ocala, Gainesville and all of Central Florida
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
Why not reset the the AP to factory default and start again?
Steve Lane, MCSE

www.ESIphoneSystems.com

Offline Grider

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 06:36:10 AM »
Why not reset the the AP to factory default and start again?

Yep, I did that and plugged it into the network. The AP worked fine and the next step was to configure it secure instead of open. When it gets plugged into the network it gets reassigned a new IP other than the factory default 192.168.1.245. So the problem becomes WTF ip are you now. Next idea is to direct connect, default, pre program which gets us back to the original question of why the travel laptop won't connect like the desk laptop.

I feel like a dog chasing his tail!

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
Why not default it - set your travel laptop to be in the same range as the Linksys AP (use a cross over cable and assign) a static IP to that rascal thats available on the network then plug it in and either set your laptop to DHCP or a staic in the networks range.

If that doesnt work let me know I can have one of my guys log into your machine and fix ya up.
Steve Lane, MCSE

www.ESIphoneSystems.com

Offline Grider

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
Thank you for the kind offer Steve. I may at some point take you up on it. The only reason I don't accept your offer now is that I'm more interested in the education of how to do these things instead of having them done for me. :003:

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
John,

Did you get it figured out?

Steve Lane, MCSE

www.ESIphoneSystems.com