Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone here know anything about fixing TVs?  (Read 2191 times)

Online EV607797

Does anyone here know anything about fixing TVs?
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:47:38 PM »
Perfect timing.  I'm unemployed, stuck in the house for 45 days so far and my TV decides to crap out.  It's an LG 55" Smart TV and the screen completely goes dark for about one second every 5-10 seconds.  I've done the obvious stuff, disconnected power for a few hours, updated the software, etc.  It does this regardless of what is on the screen, even the menu/settings screen.  I'm pretty sure it's a power supply issue.  Can these things even be fixed?  I'm not even sure if there are any TV repair shops left around here.  Any suggestions?  :002:
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Does anyone here know anything about fixing TVs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:23 PM »
Well, I found this:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair

And this:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/lg-direct-service

I assume you don't want to try fixing it yourself, right?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline liquidvw

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:30:57 AM »
Whats the model number?  Guessing that your problem is probably common with other users and google may shed some light on the issue.  Worked for me a few times with various TV repairs. 

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
Ed, TVs tend to go out when you turn them on or off.  They seldom go out while you're watching them.  This often does lend itself to the finding that the powersupply is going tango-uniform.  The problem with the sets today is it's all mother and daughter boards.  I didn't read Hal's links, but if you can identify the board it's often an easy fix, but the downside is ordering a board and it doesn't fix the issue. 

To echo Dave's wisdom, however, if you can search the model number sometimes you can find a...dang it.  It's not a whitepaper, but there is a term for it.  In any event it's like a recall.  A known issue has been found and you can often take it to an authorized repair shop (if you can find such a thing) and get it fixed.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.   :016:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
I did some poking around and found a one-minute YouTube video showing how there's a ribbon cable that just needs to be re-seated.  I didn't go that far yet because someone commented that they received instructions from LG directly to unplug it, press and hold the power button for ten seconds, then plug it back in.  Lo and behold, that worked (for about an hour).  Another person said that she accomplished the same thing by just pressing and holding the power button on the remote.  That works as well with the same one-hour fix.  This leads me to believe that it's not a hardware issue, but still offers hope.  Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 07:17:10 PM »
Ed, can you go into the menus and see if maybe it recently took an update?

Online EV607797

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 11:44:59 PM »
Nothing that I can tell, Trace.  I checked the most recent software download that was done, which was about nine months ago and there isn't a newer one available.  What I've noticed in the day or so that I've been tinkering with it is that the 'power hold' button trick definitely works consistently.  It works without actually unplugging the set as previously mentioned.  Holding it down for about 10-20 seconds upon power up, with the remote or the one on the set, I get anywhere from 1-3 hours of good screen time.  If it acts up, I just do it again.  That will have to be my solution until I can get a job.  Thanks for the suggestions, Fellas.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline pvj

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 11:01:08 AM »
When the screen goes dark do you still have sound? I have an older LG  that had sound, no picture and it was a couple of capacitors in the power supply. Cheap switching power supplies seem to go bad a fair bit.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 11:07:39 AM »
That will have to be my solution until I can get a job. 

In the words of my dearly departed partner: "With all the shit we know, how come we can't make any money?"

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 05:27:50 PM »
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »
Hey Ed, are you feeding that TV via an HDMI cable?

Offline telemarv

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 10:32:47 PM »
Hey Ed, are you feeding that TV via an HDMI cable?

Good question? HDMI can control the set.

Also that pic you put on Facebook Ed, of the shrunken picture might be a bad cable.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online EV607797

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 01:17:08 AM »
That "shrunken picture" is my 32" from my bedroom placed in front of the original 55"!  Pretty big difference, huh?

Yes, the sound continues to work, in fact all functions work.  It's just the picture that cuts in and out.

Jeff, that's my favorite line from that movie!

The picture is completely gone now.  It does nothing but a strobe-like flash of the screen about every second when powered up.  I did think about the HDMI cable thing though.  I had a Roku streaming stick, a DVD/Blue ray player, and another cable that goes under the carpet to my laptop.  The one under the carpet was my first thought, but no.  Even with all of them disconnected, I get the same results.  All of them work fine when connected to the other TV.

I've looked at lots of information on the web and it is either bad LED strips (I hope not) or a bad power supply.  Either of these repairs aren't an option for me right now, so I'll just use this 'little' 32" until I can come up with a solution.  Thanks again, everyone.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »
Sorry to hear it's gone downhill.  You might disconnect the HDMI just to make sure the problem persists.  Long story, but turns out that can cause some of the behavior you described, even though it appeared in the system menus as well.

Oh, and Jeff.  First off, hats off for knowing 80s movies, and to that one I respond with: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uakq0aOVlMw

Online hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 02:24:35 PM »
Ed, have you tried a hammer
Give it 2 good bangs and call me in the morning