Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slow netbook issues?  (Read 961 times)

Online EV607797

Slow netbook issues?
« on: June 01, 2019, 11:21:38 PM »
I just pulled my HP netbook out of semi-retirement and decided to clean it up and start using it again.  It has Windows 7 basic running on it, which is sufficient for my needs in the field and compatible with most of my older programs.  I did notice that it is super slow though.

When disconnected from the Internet, it speeds up to much closer to normal speed.  My first thought was some kind of Trojan, which I did find by running MalwareBytes.  It was located and quarantined.  After that, I ran CCleaner for both the files and registry with no issues.  Finally, I ran Windows Defrag, etc.  It has improved in speed, but it's still mighty slow compared to how I remember it being.  It has 1 gig of RAM, which I know isn't much by today's standards, but still plenty for what I'm doing with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new utility that might do a more realistic and thorough cleansing of its soul?  I'm not opposed to a full backup/restore, since there's nothing on it that can't be replaced.  I was hoping for something a little bit easier.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Slow netbook issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
It's always best to start from scratch. Does that machine have the original image from the factory on the HD that you can access during boot or did it come with CDs?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
If there is nothing on there, a restore from a hidden partition is quick and easy.

It is odd that the machine slows down when connected.  Is it just the fact that you connect that slows down the machine, or does a browser have to be open such as when you're surfing the net?

You can pull up Task Manager and then sort the columns by CPU usage.  Then connect to the internet and see if anything starts pulling horsepower.  You could do the same by sorting by memory usage.

Something else I see a lot is browsers (especially outdated ones) pulling things down.  You can download and run Process Lasso.  If something starts pulling horsepower it'll restrain it.  That doesn't seem to fix the problem, but it will show you what it's been restraining.

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »
uBlock Origin is a browser add-on that stops most of the ads from playing that would otherwise auto-connect and eat up RAM.  It's handy.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
Possible that it is downloading updates since you haven't used it in awhile. Let it run for a few days. This machine is Win 7 that I got from a customer who upgraded to a new machine. I wiped it and reinstalled from the hidden partition. It then went and downloaded all the updates from the last 10 years. Ran for a straight 24 hours downloading and installing. It was unusable during that time.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:13:16 PM »
Oh, and what Stacey said. Even with an ad blocker some sites will make your machine lock up.  Facebook will do it to every machine I ever owned. By the time I get half way down the page I have to go into task manager to force Firefox to shut down. There are many sites that are so full of advertising that they do the same thing. I usually send the admin a shitty email about how I can't use their site because it's 90% advertising only to hear how the advertising is necessary to pay the bills.

-Hal

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »
The HP netbook is probably similar to the Acer and Gateway netbooks. Most came with Windows 7 Basic and 1 Gig of RAM. I put an SSD drive with an Ebay copy of Windows 7 Pro, a 4 Gig memory stick(although most of the small netbooks are restricted to using 3 Gig max). All for under $75. Now it screams. Cheap beater and lightweight for programming and general web browsing. Mine is the Gateway version.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
The HP netbook is probably similar to the Acer and Gateway netbooks

Yes, I have a couple of ACER Aspire one netbooks.  I did a search on line to find the key sequence to restore from the restore partition.  Also found what programs to remove for better performance. Removed AcerVCM and now it flys.  I'm sure you can do the same with the HP.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.