Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amazon Fire Tablet?  (Read 1107 times)

Online EV607797

Amazon Fire Tablet?
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
I would have never thought this, but continuous pop-up ads on Facebook eventually got my curiosity.  Is this thing of any use to someone like me?  I understand that it doesn't have any serial ports, etc. for work use, but for casual wifi-only use, isn't it just as good as a smart phone without the phone capabilities?  The price (when bought as the ad-free version) doesn't seem bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794SNF59?tag=fbasaptab-20&ascsubtag=pfb-DEVTAB-1-9-mtsfx2q850sa33rl&ref_=pfb_DEVTAB_1_9_mtsfx2q850sa33rl&fbclid=IwAR0tfPVMukqEIrpLielXvROR_vZY3LICdb0IjeKJUL30EkU5NDXxPK5gBio&th=1
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline Skip555

Re: Amazon Fire Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:18:07 AM »
I like the one's I had I read a lot so I was using it as a Kindle reader , surfing the Web Watching videos etc  . I dropped mine and shattred the screen.  for 50 or so its a great tablet . (watch for sales look for open box )

its not pure android so there are some things and apps it wont run .

the ads aren't bad they are only on the home screen , once you open the tablet they are gone . I learned to ignore them .

I replaced it with this and I like it better , better  sound and graphics  I just got 10 for the non profit that Suzi runs .I 've been buying the used /refurb /open box ones for 90 or so

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07193VPNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »
Yes, they are a good value. I've used one for several years. I like to read when I go to bed and this what I use. My wife and 2 of my kids got the latest version for Christmas. Their Kindles are nicer than mine, but I rarely see them using them.

As Skip mentioned, the ads are not intrusive at all. An ad will pop up on the home screen when you open the tablet and that's it.

While I wouldn't use it for work, they are good for reading and internet surfing.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »
Larry

do you get kindle books from the library ? Alucha county will give any Florida resident a library card and they have a really good Ebook selection . I have never bought a kindle book, between alucha and sarasta countys I can get all I can read .
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:26:50 PM »
I really enjoy mine. I use it for reading and surfing the net or watching Netflix, Hulu, etc....

Online NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Larry

do you get kindle books from the library ? Alucha county will give any Florida resident a library card and they have a really good Ebook selection . I have never bought a kindle book, between alucha and sarasta countys I can get all I can read .

I use to get them from the Alachua County Library but seemed to have had trouble finding books that match my finicky taste. I just get them from Amazon. Sometimes off there free list, Kindle Unlimited, or I just buy them.

The Alachua library is very good. Back in the day of printed books, I use to get them there all the time, even though I live in Bradford County.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
I have the "Kindle Fire," it's great for reading a book, but I don't like it for doing anything on line.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline silversam

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »
I've had various Kindles and iPads for years. The kindles are great for reading books. Getting on line with them can be pretty problematic.

I'm very fond of my iPad. Reading, surfing, email. All good. My buddy has the keyboard for the iPad and uses it instead of a laptop. I think it's great to take on vacation - but I don't use it for "work".

Sam