Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for 4/C patch cords  (Read 2791 times)

Online EV607797

Looking for 4/C patch cords
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:52:14 PM »
It seems as if everyone assumes that phone wiring lands on patch panels these days.  The systems I'm working with are Panasonic and Vertical/Vodavi.  Both brands use 6P4C jacks, so using standard data patch cables aren't an option.  Yes, we can use regular telephone line cords, but they come hanked and look like crap when there's a bunch of them installed.  I'm looking for something similar to a CAT5 patch cable, but with 6P4C plugs (only two pair cable is necessary).  Right now, I'm using flat silver-satin cordage on a roll and assembling the cords myself, but what a pain.  Even solid wire cables would be OK, in fact I'd prefer them, but I can't pay Sandman's prices for something that I'll need by the hundreds.

Does anyone know of a source for these?  Refurb Supplies used to sell regular line cords that weren't hanked, which were perfect.  Not anymore.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Skip555

Re: Looking for 4/C patch cords
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 07:04:31 AM »
Ed ,how about these from Mike Sandman ?

http://www.sandman.com/25pair.html#CriticalCords
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »
You might try TeleData Express   https://teledataexpress.com/Item/106195BK
I think they do custom cords.  Give them a call.

Retired Now

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
If you are going to need these by the hundreds it would pay to have them made yourself. I used to have breakout cables made for the Partner systems similar to what Teledata has except I had separate cables for the stations and CO lines. I was doing this long before Teledata thought of it and, as a matter of fact I contacted them and suggested that they do what I was doing (a separate cable for stations and CO lines) because it made much more sense than one cable for all the ports on one module. This was long ago and I can't remember who the company was that I had making them but likely they aren't in business anymore anyway.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online EV607797

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
Ed ,how about these from Mike Sandman ?

Yes, but as I mentioned in my original post, I can't justify the mile-high prices from Sandman.  They're fine for one or two, but I need a hundred.  At four bucks a piece, that's not going to fly.  The other thing is that his are 15 feet long.  I just need 5-7 foot patch cords in four conductor for interfacing with patch panels that can be neatly installed, like CAT5e ones.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
You might try TeleData Express   https://teledataexpress.com/Item/106195BK
I think they do custom cords.  Give them a call.

Teledata Express does sell custom fiber cable assemblies, but that's about it.  They are my first choice for wiring supplies, but this cord is just the regular hanked line cord that I'm trying to avoid.  They can't be neatly uncoiled and routed with patch panels.  I need something like a CAT5e patch cable, just with 6P4C plugs on each end.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Skip555

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
I would call sandman and ask for a quote on what you need .
Skip

Online Skip555

Skip

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »
I think that's the best you are going to do, price is right too. They are silver satin, I would prefer 2 pr CAT3 but now a days you can't be too particular. Of course I've been known to make them up myself, 100 isn't that many given enough beers. :066:

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »
I just use regular patch cables.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
The systems I'm working with are Panasonic and Vertical/Vodavi.  Both brands use 6P4C jacks...

That's the nice thing about Avaya. They always had 8P4C jacks for backward compatibility with the Merlin. Those you could use regular patch cords. Ain't gonna happen with Panasonic and Vodavi.

-Hal

Online EV607797

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
Well, I almost found exactly what I'm looking for.  These are seven feet, two-pair twisted (no category rating), but they have 8P4C plugs on each end, with pins 3,4,5 and 6 populated.  I'm going to just put my own 6P4C plugs on one end, or better yet, cut them in half and net two cables.  These are round cable, and neatly coiled, not hanked like most regular line cords.  They're basically two-pair patch cables.

The beauty is that they only cost $0.19 each and there are thousands available.  Their price for 6P4C plugs for solid/stranded ROUND cable is only $1.93 per bag of 50 and $2.89 for 8P8C.  I bought ten of the cables just to check them out and a zillion bags of their 6P4C and 8P8C plugs.  At those prices, I can't go wrong.

I figure I can sit around and crimp them over a few beers and some good music, then I'll sell them to Hal for $1.95 each or two for $4.95.  :011:

If these don't give me any trouble, I'll likely buy a few hundred more of them and be set for a while.  Thanks for the ideas.

OH, I forgot to mention:  It's PI Manufacturing Company in Walnut, CA.  I've been buying from them for over 25 years and just happened to think of them as a last resort.  They've never let me down before.

Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online EV607797

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »

You can't do that when the system's jacks are 6P4C.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 10:31:19 AM »
Those look like the old Merlin line cords except those were 8C. Betcha what you have though was to interconnect something Lucent or WE.

-Hal

Online EV607797

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
Hal, I'm sure they were made for use with Partner or even Spirit systems.  I can't imagine any other system that could use them.  These are definitely twisted pair (R,G,B,Y), stranded wire with round jacket, just like most regular data patch cables.

Anyway, I took the ten I bought, cut them in half and put 6P4C plugs on one end.  It took about 30 minutes total and my result was 20 of these cables, with a unit cost of less than 25 cents.  I'm happy.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 05:14:26 PM »
They might have been used between the wall wart transformer and the Partner DSS button sidecar. Might have also been supplied for the data connection with Partner Messaging? The Legend and Magix offer unlimited possibilities.

-Hal

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »

You can't do that when the system's jacks are 6P4C.

What we did in the past was run a pigtail from the system to a regular patch-panel. That way they could use any port on their existing patch panel for the cross-connection to the phone system. I haven't seen any new construction is the past ten years that uses 6P4C jacks, so we started doing this and it worked. It's a little ugly when they plug their 6P4C into the 8P8C jacks, but it works. (Notice I didn't say RJ45 jacks? Didn't want your head to explode.)
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online EV607797

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 10:16:28 PM »
I haven't seen any new construction is the past ten years that uses 6P4C jacks, so we started doing this and it worked. It's a little ugly when they plug their 6P4C into the 8P8C jacks, but it works. (Notice I didn't say RJ45 jacks? Didn't want your head to explode.)

Right, but I'm talking about the jacks on the system KSUs.  Vertical and Panasonic use 6P4C, and probably others as well.  When their KSU is rack-mounted, it only makes sense to just use a patch cord that goes from the KSU port to the patch panel port without any transitions.

RJ what?  :014:
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com