Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Free DOS?  (Read 970 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

Free DOS?
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:55:59 PM »
Are any of you guys using Free DOS? It has perked my interest lately and I would like to know if it's worth giving it a try.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Free DOS?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:05:11 AM »
Don't you have DOS as part of the OS? Just type CMD? Or am I missing something?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »
Don't you have DOS as part of the OS? Just type CMD? Or am I missing something?

-Hal

No sir. DOS went away with Windows XP. The command prompt resembles DOS but it's not the real thing.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »
Hmmm. I know with XP there are a lot of commands that aren't there but it was workable. I never looked at what comes with Win 7, I assumed it was the same. Good to know.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »
You are correct. Windows XP and anything afterwards is NT based for now. I've read that NT stood for New Technology back in the day but I don't think they even use that now days.

The command prompt is still very useful. I use it quite often. It's just not as strong as DOS was. Back in the day Windows would tell you that "You can't do that" and DOS would tell you "The hell you can't". I suppose that was the problem Microsoft had with DOS. If you weren't very careful you could do some pretty serious damage to your computer, as far as the operating system goes, with DOS commands.

There are a ton of new commands in the DOS prompt and many of them are very helpful these days.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
We use DosBox inside Windows to connect to old systems.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.