Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just got a NOS Dell PC with Windows 7 PRO. Now what?  (Read 784 times)

Online EV607797

Just got a NOS Dell PC with Windows 7 PRO. Now what?
« on: December 18, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
As you know, I'm not a computer guy, so bear with me.  I got this new Dell PC in original packaging with Windows 7 PRO installed on it.  It is a 64 bit machine with a huge hard drive, lots RAM and lots of USB ports, plus TWO serial ports.  I'm in heaven.  As I'm trying to migrate most of my telephone system-related programs onto it, I'm finding that some of those old programs are not compatible in a 64 bit environment.  I'm also not having much luck moving my PCI modem card over since there are no drivers for it.  I've tried downloading drivers for it, but no luck.  As for the programs, I've tried right-clicking on some of them and attempting to use compatibility fixes, but no luck.

I sure wish I could just copy everything from my existing XP machine to it and not have to give it another thought.  Is that possible?  Any suggestions?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline TexasTechnician

Re: Just got a NOS Dell PC with Windows 7 PRO. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:43:16 PM »
The first thing you're going to have to do is to download and install XP Mode from Microsoft. After you have done that you should be able to run the older applications. It can be a little tricky. Please read all the way through this post before proceeding.

A word of advice, DO NOT UPGRADE the operating system to Windows 10. Otherwise you will not be able to run XP Mode.
Once you have installed XP Mode run it and install your applications in XP Mode.

Here is a link to download XP Mode: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

XP Mode is really a virtual machine that runs under Windows 7 Pro. Your computer has to be capable of running virtual machines but most of them are these days. You may have to enable the feature in BIOS. It is not a huge problem of you need to enable it. If memory serves me correctly there was a test you could run from Microsoft's webpage that will let you know if your computer is capable of running virtual machines and I seem to recall that it would tell you if it is or is not enabled on your computer.

The fact that the computer has two serial ports kind of makes me think that the computer may be a little older than one would think since serial ports have not been widely available for some time now. The best way to determine the exact age of the computer is to go to https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs and enter the service tag number. The resulting page will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the computer. If you are unable to get the service tag number open a command prompt and type WMIC BIOS GET SERIALNUMBER (Press Enter) and you will see the TAG number.

It has been so long since I've had to deal with XP Mode as far as setting it up but it can be done and I am 100% sure we can help you get it going.

Online EV607797

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
Wow, Bobby.  That's great information and I'll be sure to get on it.

I should clarify:  No, there's only one serial port factory-installed.  The others were provided by an optional card.  Apparently, these machines were built for a retailer and they were leftovers.  It's old, but it's never been used from what I can tell.  We'll see.  Thanks for the great information.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »
You're welcome Ed.  :003: I can not recall when Dell stopped adding serial ports but it has been years. At least on the desktops anyway. Some of the other guys here may know more about it but I think most computers have supported virtual machines for at least 10 years or so now so I don't think you will have a problem with it.

Let us know what you discover. 

Online Keighlar

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
I used XP mode for awhile on WIN 7 to run some older system programmers (thank you, Trace).  It was surprisingly easy to set up and it worked well, if a little cumbersome.  You said you have a large hard drive, so as long as it's supported, I'm sure you can get it up and running.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss