Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Protect Your Privacy on Public Wi-Fi Networks  (Read 843 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: How to Protect Your Privacy on Public Wi-Fi Networks
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
We don't do anything business on a public wifi unless we're hitting the VPN tunnel back  to the office and going out our WAN gateway.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online telemarv

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »
I do not touch free wifi, ever. McDonalds, Starbucks or a Hotel... ever.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online liquidvw

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
I do not touch free wifi, ever. McDonalds, Starbucks or a Hotel... ever.

This ^

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
I use public Wi-Fi when I'm in hotels. I never do online banking or anything such as that on public networks. In the past I have dialed into VPN's when I had to but it was rare.

I always log onto my computers and MacBook with a non administrative account unless I need to log on as an administrator which isn't that often for me. And I make sure there are no shares at all.

To be honest you are never as secure as you may think even when you're on your own Wi-Fi at home. There are applications out there that can be used to "sniff" data packets and someone can get your password and IP address with them very easily.

Bottom line, if someone really wants to hack into your Wi-Fi or computer they can do it many ways. Hardwired is the most secure way but most people, myself included, just connect to their wireless most of the time.