Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need Suggestions on Cable  (Read 2785 times)

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Need Suggestions on Cable
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Any suggestions for a very durable, weather resistant, outdoor rated Cat 6 cable?  UV rated is a big thing for roof cabling here as the rays chew right through wooden fences.  Cat 5e might work, but I'd rather stay with 6.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Need Suggestions on Cable
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
Run it in pipe. If it's as bad as you say there is no UV "proof" cable, I'm afraid.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
I agree with Hal if you can run it in pipe.  But if not we use Hitachi Cat6 and Cat5 UV rated outdoor cable and have always had great success with it.
Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks, Gary.  I'm a big fan of running everything external in conduit, but on this job, unfortunately it's not an option. 

Online Skip555

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
how long a run  what kind of roof ?  Could you paint the cable after its run ?  wrap it with tape ? anything to put a sacrificial layer between the cable and the Sun
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
Multiple runs, Skip; some well over 200'.  It's in a historic district with flat roofs that have the brick walls sticking up around the edge of each building, even though all the buildings are connected and have common walls.  The runs go across several of the connected buildings.

We haven't had too much trouble in the past, but after this last disaster with jackleg roofers tearing everything up, we just want a more durable cable

Online Skip555

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
if the brick walls extend above the roof could you anchor it the brick wall above the roof , on the roof side out of sight ?  slide PVC pipe over it where its hidden from view ?   leave a service loop so it could be moved/lifted  for maintenance on the roof.

sounds like a interesting site
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
It's in a historic district with flat roofs that have the brick walls sticking up around the edge of each building,

Used to run cable around that all the time for the cable company. The poly jacketed hard cable never had a problem. Wonder if somebody makes a CAT6 with a poly jacket rather than PVC?

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
Hitachi makes a Polyolefin jacketed and UV jacket.  CAT 6A Part number is 30287-BKY, Cat 6 Part number 30180-8-bky

Don't hold me to those part numbers but thats what I have written down from when I last ordered some.
Gary Frisco

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »
Looks like it's gel filled for direct burial. I usually don't recommend filled cables for above ground runs but the jacket is what you want. I would contact the manufacturer and get their recommendation. Also, it's a non-listed cable so you can't run it within the building for any distance.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
Thanks, Gary.  I'll look into that.

Hal, I'm with you on the above ground gel, but that actually may have saved us on that one I posted where the cabling worked like a conduit sending the water three floors down into the PoE switch.   :023:

Skip, you make a valid point on the conduit.  The problem is that the other buildings aren't owned by the client.  We're not allowed to do anything more than drape the cable across the roof.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »

Hal, I'm with you on the above ground gel, but that actually may have saved us on that one I posted where the cabling worked like a conduit sending the water three floors down into the PoE switch.   :023:

That's what I'm thinking too.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
You don't normally see this on gel filled, but it does say "Climate:  Direct Bury, Solar/UV Resistant"

http://www.hca.hitachi-cable.com/products/hca/products/premise/industrial/files/30180-8%20Datasheet%20Rev%2011-03-14.pdf

Now I need to find a good place to order it.

Gary, where do you get yours?

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
Accu-tech out of pittsburgh or philly.

Hope that helps!

Gary
Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Accu-tech out of pittsburgh or philly.

Hope that helps!

Gary

It helps a lot, Gary.  Thanks.

1.  They have an office here in Dallas, and;
2.  If I do have to order the cable online, it'll likley be the real thing.

Thank you, again.

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
You bet!  Take care!

Gary
Gary Frisco

Online jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
I would also look at the Ubiquiti Tough Cable.
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
I would also look at the Ubiquiti Tough Cable.

Thanks, Jeff.  I'm actually getting ready to contact Ubiquiti on some of their Air Fiber and point to point radios.  We need to shoot a wireless LAN cable across a road.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
So in the ongoing cable saga, I thought I would update this thread.  If you read my other thread about the water getting inside the cables and shorting out the switch, you have the back story on why I was asking for suggestions. 

Gary suggested the Hitachi cable, and after reviewing the documentation even Hal agreed that it looked like a good choice.  I was having a little trouble finding it locally, but the Accu-Tech suggestion was good as they make it painless to order online.

Then Jeff mentioned Ubiquiti "Tough Cable."  Ubiquiti makes some high quality wireless bridge products, so I thought I'd give it a look, and it's very easy to find and buy online.  I decided to go to Amazon to read reviews which overall were very good, but then there's that one star review you can find for darn near anything, so I go read it.  This the review:

"NOT UV RESISTANT/WATERPROOF/ LOWER QUALITY THAN DOLLAR STORE CABLE

water ended up leaking into building and frying everything."

Seriously?  None of us had even heard of my issue before, and apparently this guy had the exact same problem.

I ordered the weatherproof/UV Resistant, gel filled Accu-Tech cable earlier.  Time will tell.