Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trivia  (Read 1332 times)

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Trivia
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »
Anyone care to guess why the first 12-16" of the outside sheathing had to be stripped off these cables?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Trivia
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:03:35 PM »
Because sparkie always does it that way?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »
To make it colorful

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:08:08 AM »
I can see it's shielded cable on a PoE switch being used for IP cameras which probably has something
to do with it but I have no idea what, :023:

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »
I can see it's shielded cable on a PoE switch being used for IP cameras which probably has something
to do with it but I have no idea what, :023:

Ah, come on guys.  Only three posts?

Well Wayne, I'll give you the observation points.  I have to admit I haven't seen this before.  My rep says he has heard of it once before, but I don't know if he's telling the truth.

Okay here's the story.  Hal, it wasn't a sparkie.  I was the one to stripped the sheathing back as a temporary work around, and believe me, sparkies wouldn't work that hard.  It's a bit of a pain to thread them into the ends when they are not being held in place.

This data room is on the first floor of a building, near the center with no plumbing anywhere in the area.  The PoE switch was shorted due to water damage. 

I went on site to see for myself.  The cameras are three stories up on the roof.  Recently the roof had to be replaced.  The illegal alien roofers caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to the offices due to a leaky roof.  They thought it was over.  I went up there and found that the illeagls had destroyed the cabling.  The sheathing is broken all down the cables.  Water was entering the cables, running down the inside of the cable, and since it was coming from three stories up, it had enough pressure to force the water through the drip loop (notice that the cables feed from the bottom for a drip loop) and then force it right up into the PoE switch like a giant straw.

I stripped the sheathing back as a temporary work around so the water would pour out onto the floor instead of making up to the table top and switch.

When I cut the ends off water poured out in my hand.  Here are the pics:

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »
Amazing.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 04:22:22 AM »
unbelievable!  :001:

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
WOW
Jeff Moss