Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Office Libre (Instead of paying for Microsoft Office)  (Read 1148 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

Office Libre (Instead of paying for Microsoft Office)
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:16:20 PM »
I saw Hal's thread regarding Microsoft Office 2016 and I didn't want to hijack the thread so I thought I would start a new thread. Office Libre is 100% FREE OF CHARGE and I have not discovered anything that Microsoft will do that Libre can't.

I will say that I have discovered it is best to save documents as .ODT rather than any other file type.

Check it out of you like: https://www.libreoffice.org/

Online EV607797

Re: Office Libre (Instead of paying for Microsoft Office)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:06:33 PM »
That sounds like www.OpenOffice.org which I've been using for quite a while.  It also uses the .ODT format for native documents, but it permits you to save them as .DOC if you remember to do so.  I've had trouble getting some of them to convert if e-mailing them, but opening and reading inbound documents seems to work OK. 

Bobby, do you know if this is from the same people?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »
Yes Sir it is from the same organization. I think Open Office was purchased by someone and there were conflicts of some kind. I'm not sure of the details but I think it has evolved into Office Libre non-the-less.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »
They used to be the same open source project, but splintered into two somewhere along the way.  I've used both and while they are acceptable replacements for MS, I do find that they simply lose out in refinement and compatibility.  Given the option, I will most always choose to use the MS software. 

I still have quite a few ODT documents on my PC from before I was provided with a copy of MS to use at home (thank you, Trace).  Opening those documents in Office or Excel invariably causes conversion issues.  If you plan to share documents in a professional capacity and are using the ODT format, you might want to consider converting them to PDF before sending them to the recipient.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
All my forms are in Word and will do the math when you print. Will Office Libre or Open Office run the macros in a Word .DOT?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
I will say that I have discovered it is best to save documents as .ODT rather than any other file type.

Does it have an Outlook alternative?

I still have quite a few ODT documents on my PC from before I was provided with a copy of MS to use at home (thank you, Trace). 

You're welcome.   :008:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »

Nope.  That was Mozilla Thunderbird.   :064:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »

Nope.  That was Mozilla Thunderbird.   :064:

Sadly that's the downfall of the Office alternatives.  Nothing that will integrate with Exchange. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online telemarv

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
I use open office on my phone to read docs and spreadsheets, but I prefer the real thing on PCs and laptops.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.