Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Heads up AVG users  (Read 998 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Heads up AVG users
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »
About a year ago, every time I restarted my computers I got windows explorer with an AVG folder displayed. Not a big deal because you just closed it- but why?? Nobody knew anything. Months later somebody figured out what to change in the registry to stop it.

Now, just yesterday I see a red X over the AVG icon in the bottom toolbar and when you hover over it I get "AVG Antivirus: WARNING, your system is UNSECURED" although AVG seems to be running. Maybe it's me, but the big thing is it looks like something is running in the background because ever since my screen refreshes slower than usual- almost looks like a window shade being pulled down. Never did that before. Nobody mentions that though.

Looks like Avast took over AVG and it seems AVAST users are are having the same problem.

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N0000000YJcQAM

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Heads up AVG users
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »
There were many complaints about this and I had the problem as well.   To my surprise there is or was a proceedure on the AVG website to completely remove AVG without a trace.  One of the problems had to do with the traces of AVG not allowing any other security software to be installed.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:07:30 PM »
Sure, that's the AVG uninstaller. You can't just uninstall AVG you have to EVICT it.

But that wasn't my problem because I didn't want to get rid of it, just the pop up. There is an application that makes things easy. It will go through your registry and list all the auto-runs. Apparently there was an entry from a previous AVG version that called something in that folder that is no longer there on startup. Getting rid of the entry solved the problem.

But today's problem is different, another screwed up update though.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
I'm having some similar problems with Avira.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:22:28 AM »
https://askbobrankin.com/avg_antivirus_is_actually_malware.html

Time for Rehab

Avast, I hold you equally responsible for the wasted time and energy that I’ve endured. You own AVG; you paid $1.3 billion for it more than two years ago. You have the power of life or death over AVG. I demand that you use it to force AVG into “rehab.” Or at least do something to rehabilitate your own corporate reputation.

Maybe take all AVG products off the market until they are rewritten, top to bottom, to stop messing with me and other users. Just shelve it all, and furlough any AVG staffers who remain with Avast. Tell the latter they can come back when AVG is fixed. Maybe that will get them to fix it.

Or how about this? Make a white-label version of Avast, and call it AVG. The two programs already share the same anti-virus engine, and much of the underlying tech. Think of all the savings in both development and support costs.

Car companies have done this for decades. Back in the 1980s, for example, General Motors developed the J-car series, and sold them (with subtle changes) as the Cadillac Cimarron, Buick Skyhawk, Oldsmobile Firenza, Pontiac Sunbird, and Chevrolet Cavalier.

Most consumers who bought the more expensive Cimarron didn't understand they were driving a Cavalier with leather seats, electric mirrors and a premium sound system. And if Avast plays its cards right, they can similarly expunge the stench of AVG, and most of their customers will never know the difference.

Okay, let me cool down a bit… to be clear, I'm not saying that AVG software is trying to do anything malicious to your computer, such as stealing private information, or infecting other programs with a virus payload. But if it can change your browser’s home page, set your default search engine, and somehow survive an uninstall plus System Restore, then it does not deserve your trust, period.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net