Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two slow speed issues on my network  (Read 3055 times)

Online EV607797

Re: Two slow speed issues on my network
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 12:17:31 AM »
quick search of Arris 16xx routers. Default login

User: admin
password: password

Thanks, Marv.  I tried all of those too and was thinking that maybe this series was different.  It turns out that they changed the password to my account number.  I took a stab at that and it worked.  I did find one rogue wireless user that I kicked off and all seems to be good.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »

I did find one rogue wireless user that I kicked off and all seems to be good.

Interesting.  I don't know if your system allows for it, but we use MAC Address Filtering at all of our locations.  It doesn't matter if someone gets the password; we have to add their MAC to the system. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
How did they get the password Ed?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online EV607797

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 11:14:21 PM »
How did they get the password Ed?

-Hal

Funny you should ask, Hal.  When I first set up service here, I only used the 2.4G and not the 5G wireless  that this router offers.  I changed the 2.4 settings for SSID and password (through the portal on Spectrum's website for my account).  I never even thought about the separate one.  Embarrassingly, I didn't realize that it existed.  The default password for this SSID was very simple, like the router's model number plus two digits.  I guess it was easy enough to guess.  I can only assume that someone locked in on that one and stayed put.  Even if I would reboot it, they could still get back on.

I've since changed the SSID and key for both, and things seem to be much better now.  Knock on wood.  :001:
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
That's why I never use and tell my customers to never use the junk that the service provider gives you for free. I always use my own router with a separate access point(s) so I have complete access and control of both. Many service providers make you go through their tech support or their on-line control panel if you can change the settings at all.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online silversam

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »
Trace -

Originally I set my system for MAC address filtering. It worked fine - until I couldn't add a device. It turns out my router had a maximum number of MAC addresses that it would filter (I think 20 - which sounds like a lot - until you start adding them). I eventually went to WPA2,

Sam

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Sam,

I've been there too.  In fact, I've also ran into another challenge at times.  Just because you have 40+ MAC entries, doesn't mean the processor can search them all quicly enough.  It can be a challenge.

Hal,

We do the same thing.  In fact we go one step further and put the provider unit in bridge mode so it's just an open pipe as if it doesn't even exist.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:36 AM »
I'm checking back to report my most recent findings on this issue in hopes of helping others.  While many of the ideas offered here so far have helped, I still have had a lingering problem with my laptop.  All other devices on my network work just fine.  I finally got a pop-up from Firefox (my default browser) asking me if I wanted ideas for addressing my slow speed.  I followed their instructions and went to my browser settings.

By default, Firefox is set to allow four simultaneous applications to run.  Anything beyond that is a crap shoot.  I increased this to the maximum and now it flies as if I just took it out of the box.

I always have two on-line instances of Outlook (OWA) running, Facebook and sites like this, so with that said, my limit of four was spent before I even started to do anything.  Add YouTube and the misc. web browsing that I do, and it's only a matter of time before things go awry.  I would often get a yellow pop-up bar when switching to another tab indicating that another app was slowing my system.  It wouldn't tell me which one it was; it just offered the option of stopping the unknown app or waiting.  That was useless, but obviously, I was stopping something that I was using.  This was apparently causing a domino effect.

Couple that with the fact that I'm running DosShell to mimic XP instead of the resident Windows 8.1, and MS Office, I have found that I've been taxing my system's RAM.  Now that I've changed this setting, I think I'm finally set.

Dave Moore had mentioned that the new version of Firefox sucks (mine is version 57.0.4) and he was  right.  My issues started shortly after I upgraded to this.  After making this modification, Firefox seems to be behaving as one would expect.  I'll check back in the event that I was wrong again.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com