Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AVG from Hell!  (Read 1161 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
AVG from Hell!
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
I had AVG on an Acer Aspire One netbook.   This netbook is used for the Samsung OSDM programming software.  I like the netbook because of it's small size.   AVG made it almost impossible to run this PC due to the processing time it consumed, so I decided to remove it!  Not an easy task!   AVG will not run the uninstall program until you answer questions about why you are removing it and don't like it.  If that's not enough to piss you off, it failed to remove AVG even when I answered the dumb questions!    I did find the following from AVG;

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DeNKAA0

I have now run two different AVG uninstall programs listed in the above link.  The second program is on it's third run as I post this.   I have the following message on the screen;
Removal is in progress.
Several computer restarts might be necessary to remove all traces of selected products.
Please be patient.

Can you believe this crap?????????   I believe it to be worse than any virus it might remove!!!!!   It will actually rebuild itself if you don't get all of it!   They should have named it "the terminator"
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: AVG from Hell!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
I heard it said somewhere awhile back that you don't delete AVG you have to evict it.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
I haven't had too much trouble removing AVG, though I have had to use the removal tool before.  If you didn't get rid of it I may have some suggestions.

BTW, Avast seems to now be an AVG clone, menus and all.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
It's gone........never again will I use that product!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Well when you find a good product, please share.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »
Larry, I ran into that just last night with some older programs on my office PC.  Most were system manufacturers' proprietary ones.  When using the add/delete feature in control panel, they would get partially through the removal process and then stop.  It would tell me that certain components were either missing or could not be removed.  I ended up settling with partial removal for now.

In hindsight, I seem to recall that some of them had their own uninstall option when you would open the folder for that program.  It seemed the ones with 'Install Shield' removed themselves properly, but as for the others, I guess I'll have to keep them forever.

Like luggage.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Keighlar

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
You guys ever try Revo Uninstaller?  It's great for getting all the tendrils and guts of software off your PC.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online telemarv

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
CCleaner will also remove the leftovers.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.