Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dial-up modem app for iPhone?  (Read 1106 times)

Online EV607797

Dial-up modem app for iPhone?
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:03 AM »
Is there such a thing?  As much as I travel lately, it sure would be nice if I could get some kind of app or work around that would enable me to use my iPhone 6S as a dial-up modem.  Currently, I use the Team Viewer app to reach my laptop which has a modem connected to a land line at my home.  The problem is that I often need to take my laptop with me when I travel. 

I know that I could set up another computer at home and use Team Viewer to hit that, which I may end up doing, but I was hoping to find a more graceful way to do it.

I'd really like to find an app for my iPhone that can be accessed using my personal hot spot, or even a cable, if such a luxury exists.  Essentially, a way for my laptop to see my iPhone as a 56K modem.

I've searched the web and it seems that most of today's kids have a different understanding of what a modem is.  There's also mention of 'jailbreaking' my iPhone, which I'd rather not do.  Any suggestions?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online telemarv

Re: Dial-up modem app for iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »
If you tether your phone to your laptop, you can then try to connect your laptop to the phone via usb and try to use your dialup software on your laptop.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online telemarv

Marv CCNA

Online EV607797

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
Thanks, Marv.  I stumbled upon those yesterday in my quest, but unfortunately, my iPhone 6S (IOS 10.3.3) doesn't offer the networking option under general settings.  My guess is that this suggestion was created for use with earlier IOS versions.  I looked all over and didn't see anything similar.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online telemarv

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
Sure it does it's called personal hotspot under settings.
Marv CCNA