Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lost audio on Win modem?  (Read 1638 times)

Online EV607797

Lost audio on Win modem?
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:21 PM »
Any idea why I lost audio on my USB Win modem?  It used to function flawlessly sending audio through my computer's speakers and even to my iPhone when using the TeamViewer app.  I've tried adjusting the AT commands M and L, but no change.  I have even used Z to reset it and &F to initialize it.  This started happening when I took a road trip and brought it along (unattached to my laptop) just in case.  I've done all of the driver checks and updates, yet nothing has changed.  Has it just gone bad?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Lost audio on Win modem?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »
Might try doing a System Restore and roll the registries back to before you left.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:25 PM »
Never mind.  I tried a different USB port on my laptop and it works fine.  I feel like an idiot, but thanks for offering a suggestion.  :066:
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline silversam

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »
Ed,

Dare I ask - what are you still using a modem for?

Sam

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
It worked on old USB Port, but just didn't have audio, and it both works and has audio on the other USB Port?  :002:

Well I'm not 25 anymore, so when it quits being broke I quit trying to fix it.  That is bizarre though. 

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 01:10:31 PM »
I agree, Trace.  USB is USB, right?  Actually, I have brought several strange issues here regarding this laptop.  I swear that it has something to do with my antivirus software.  It still requires full entry of all credentials for any web activity, and I've given up the battle as to why.  Maybe it fixed the purpose of the USB ports too.  I'm not sure why, but it works great now.

Oh, and Sam, I do quite a lot of remote programming and maintenance on systems via modem.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline silversam

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:30:27 PM »
Oh, and Sam, I do quite a lot of remote programming and maintenance on systems via modem.

Ahh. Still.  I developed a slew of applications using Asynchronous (serial & modem) communications. One set got written up in a trade journal, back in the day.

Glad to see that someone is still doing something with it.

Sam

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Yep.  I still remote in via modems for maintenance on Mitel SX200s and Comdial/Vertical DX80s & 120s.  Certainly not as much as I did 10 years ago.  And before that, I did a lot of Nortel Utilitis with all of of our Nortel stuff.

When I remote in to IP systems, it’s very quick and very smooth nowadays.  But I still get a bit of a charge when using a modem for the older systems.  I use an external modem—now its a TrendNet using ta serial connection but they use to be all U.S. Robotics.  I like  the noise and get fired up when I can hear that I’m in. 

Ed---what are you using for software?  For the Comdial stuff, of course, I use the PCDBA program, but for the Mitels, I use Telix.  I’ve used PUTTY and Hyperterminal, but prefer Telix.  It is now a defunct company.  I sent them $75 about 8 years ago, but the check was returned saying that they were out of business.  The copy I have is a trial copy that we have to hack so that I can get another 45 sessions out of it every so often.

I had an AT&T copper analog line for many years but a few months ago, I changed to Comcast out of an EMTA.  It was part of a promotion (bundle) that included, TV, Internet (Business Static IP) and an analog line.   So far so good.  I ordered it as a fax line, and it has been OK.  I should have switched years ago and saved money.  The AT&T line was costing me almost $100 a month.  This one is costing $43. 

One of these days, I’ll have to stop maintaining these systems remotely, as I’m not making that much doing it anymore.  But I must admit that I like doing it.  It reminds me of the simpler times.
Retired Now

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »
but they use to be all U.S. Robotics.

I still have an external U.S. Robotics 2400 Baud Courier.  Remember War Games:008:

Offline silversam

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
Remember War Games?

I seem to remember a line: "Let's play thermonuclear devastation."

I probably got it wrong.

I had a program (on the Commodore-64!) like the one in the movie that dialed every phone number in an exchange and flagged the ones with modems. You set to run all night and then went cracking the next day. :011:

Sam

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »

I had a program (on the Commodore-64!) like the one in the movie that dialed every phone number in an exchange and flagged the ones with modems. You set to run all night and then went cracking the next day. :011:

ToneLoc was the badboy DOS program on the street, and the USR 2400 Courior was the ultimate hardware to go with it.  I didn't realize there was a Commodore-64 version.  :011:

Offline silversam

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »
Trace, I remember my first 1200 baud modem. Lightning!

It was a standard external modem, but on the C-64 modem connections were parallel (and printers were serial!)

I never had a modem slower then 300 baud, but I worked on TTYs that ran at 150 (to program PBXs).

Long time ago,

Sam