Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 10 and Wireless - WiFi - Bluetooth - Airplane mode problems  (Read 1356 times)

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Has anyone experienced intermittent issues with WiFi dropping off, then showing back up and/or airplane mode randomly coming on? I've done some Googling, but haven't dove in yet. Thought I'd check here first

Same machines had no problem with this on Windows 7
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
Re: Windows 10 and Wireless - WiFi - Bluetooth - Airplane mode problems
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
Not those issues Tony but I have had printer issues on Win 10, both local and network.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
I've had no issues with 10 at all , Wifi working great no random changes like you're describing Tony I don't use bluetooth with it and I haven't put it in Airplane mode yet  .   Printers are working fine  also .

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
Random update to old problem. After troubleshooting it for multiple times over the course of a few months, and even doing a full wipe and reload (from the ground up, manually, not an image), we replaced the machine. Problem gone. Mind you - we have done ALL firmware, BIOS, etc. and any other updates you can think of.

Here's the plot twist:

1. Took it back to the shop for a wipe and reload. Installed Windows 7.... no issues for a week.
2. Wiped and reloaded to Windows 10. Problem appeared within 2 days.
3. Wiped, reloaded to 7, in place upgraded to 10... problem occurs again!
4. Replaced with new machine running Windows 10 - problem gone.

WTF?!?! LOL. This is an odd one and we are scratching our heads.

Exact problem: When the client has the laptop docked, and it's working via hardwired LAN connection, no problem. When removed from dock, it will randomly (sometimes) connect to WiFi without issue. BUT - a majority of the time, if will not connect to WiFi - everything else works on the system including if you reconnect it to the dock or a LAN cable manually. NOTHING we do will get it to connect to WiFi, other than a full reboot while not docked. Then WiFi works flawlessly.

Since we have replaced the machine with another one (identical) the problem hasn't happened again for a month, today.

Mind = blown
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »
Tony,

I don't know if this is relevant, but I recently came across what may be a related issue. 

The issue that was placing the computer into Airplane Mode had nothing to do with the network drivers and had to do with the version of not Windows power manager, but the mfg's power manager on the computer.  The issue was resolved in a later upgrade to the power manager.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
 Both computers were Dell latitude E series. Exact same make/model and, the bad one, had four wipe and reloads. That's what I don't get and why I don't think it would be a PowerManager thing when we moved it from the factory default up manually.

Thanks for the info, though! Always good to hear more possibilities
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »
Both computers were Dell latitude E series. Exact same make/model and, the bad one, had four wipe and reloads.

Even though they seem to both be identical, unless they were both built sequentially on the same line on the same date I'm going to think there can be differences. Things like chip and bios revisions come to mind. Bugs do too.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:41:58 AM »
 Hal, you are exactly correct! That's what I think it ended up coming down to is that maybe a single chip here or there was different and the thing I really don't understand is why I reacted differently and windows seven versus windows 10. It's an exact identical driver side as far as I'm aware
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
That's what I was referencing too as far as the power manager.  When I researched the system forums they indicated it was fixed in the next revision.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
I've seen that one time on a Windows 10 HOME version. I got lucky by removing the network card and letting Windows "find" it again in Device Manager but I think it was more luck that anything. We don't use "Home" version at all because #1 we're not supposed to (Commercial users anyway)  but it's so watered down you really can't do much with it.

On a side note, Windows 10 is a strange animal to say the least but I'm hearing generic drivers can solve a lot of weird issues specifically when it comes to network card drivers. I have not had to resort the that yet but I keep it in mind anytime I run into a network card problem.

I'm more of a MacBook fan these days but I have to admit that I do like Windows 10. I'm not that easily impressed by "Microsof" either so that's saying something coming from me!