Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Antivirus  (Read 4114 times)

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Antivirus
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »
It is getting nuts, Dave. 

I'm hopefully going to finish the migration to the new mail server this weekend which will help as we have some better protection there.  I wish Kespersky had a free version.  There's no free version I'm aware of, but how do you like Kaspersky?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
Thanks, Larry.  I use it during the free 30 days when fighting malware, but always remove after the job is finished.  I guess the search continues.

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
Very interesting, Dave.  Thanks for the heads up.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
Well the AV search continues.

After a bad incident we have been testing the paid version of Bitdefender.  Unfortunately it's pretty obtrusive.  What's worse is that I use Windows indexing extensively.  Not only do I have it index the filenames, I have it index the contents inside the files which is how I find things.

I have rebuilt the file index several times, and magically the Users folder in indexing keeps going away.  While I can't definitively say Bitdefender is responsible, the timing coincides, and an online search shows problems between the two in the past.

Anyone else found anything they like lately?

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
Well just in case anyone is following the AV search, I did confirm that the paid version of Bitdefender was in deed breaking Windows Indexing/Search so I had to pull it like a bad tooth.

At Marc's suggestion I did install Symantec End Point, but it was just way too intrusive and too much overhead for me.  Marc mentioned a home version, but I never found it.  Maybe I had the wrong one.

To download Symantec End Point, first you have to fill out the paperwork.  Then you must download and install an installer.  After the installer, you download two files that install the control panel.  At this point it was taking up 3GB of space and I still hadn't installed actual AV to the client.  Live Update for the first part took 30 minutes or so with a 20Mbps connection.  Fortunately I had created a Restore Point.  I never got to the AV.  I just pulled it.

Had it not been for Dave's warning about Kaspersky I'd have probably tried it next.  I guess for now it's back to Avira, though we've had compromises with that.

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
What about webroot?
Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »
What about webroot?

I saw something on that recently, but couldn't find any real info when I did a quick search.  Do you use it?

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »
Raising this from the dead... :011:

Trace- have you tried the free version of Bitdefender? Curious if that has the same indexing issues. I am now trying that as it is less resource intensive that the previous free versions I have been testing.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 06:27:03 PM »
Dave, we actually did try it and yes, it was breaking the indexing as well.  Right now we're getting set up with an MSP console through PC Matic to try the White Listing route. 

https://mkt.pcpitstop.com/2018/MSPBrochure.pdf

They have a lot of features we like, so we'll see what happens.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
I never saw your question back to me, but there really isn't a home version. I just buy the small office version. It's under $100 and it gives me up to five devices.

As far as the overhead, during setup you can turn off what you don't want. I agree... there's way to much crap. I just run the anti-virus and Outlook filters.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
Update:

We have the PC Matic platform rolled out at 4 client locations on our WAN.  We're administrating it from their MSP platform and so far it seems pretty okay.  We rolled it out for another client last weekend and this morning It blocked the time clock program as an unknown MD5.  Within 15 minutes PC Matic's engineers had reviewed it and white listed it worldwide. 

For the most part, the overhead seems remarkably low.  Users don't even seem to notice if it's scanning which is great.  I hate bloatware.  Time will tell I suppose, but for now things are working better than anything else I've found out there.  The real proof will be in what it catches or doesn't catch.

That said, one thing that royally pissed me off is that one of their marketing pontifications has been that their platform can be uesd to protect older, non-patched OS machines like XP.  Believe it or not, there are thousands of XP machines in the healthcare industry running proprietary programs that will not run on 7.  PC Matic's recent versions have dll's that will not run in the XP enviornment which was a huge fail for some of our clients.  In fact it cost them over 1000 end points on our account alone.

On a side note, when I uninstalled Avira on my main machine, I found it had apparently broken Windows Indexing like the others.   :035:

If any of you know of a low overhead option I can run on XP, please let me know.