Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lost Bluetooth on my laptop  (Read 855 times)

Online EV607797

Lost Bluetooth on my laptop
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:21:04 AM »
Me again.  I've lost Bluetooth functionality on my laptop, Windows 8.1 using Classic Shell for XP interface.  At first, the icon, etc. would show for Bluetooth and I could configure it, but it would only recognize devices.  It would never connect to them.  I eventually lost the icon for it in my system tray and tonight, I went to control panel to try all of the typical fixes (update driver, etc.).  Nothing worked, so I uninstalled it.

Now, it's definitely gone.  I've looked around for help on driver reinstallation, but all seem to be sinister sites.  Any suggestions?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Lost Bluetooth on my laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »
Ed, we never supported Windows 8, so I'm very weak on what you can do, but I would go to System Restore and roll back the registries to a time when it worked.

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »
I hear you Trace, and I considered doing that. My only concern is that if I take my laptop back to day one for a restore, will I do much harm to my other configurations?  I suppose that I can fix them if necessary, but I'd rather not make this matter worse than it already is.

As usual, I just want to know why it doesn't work, not necessarily how to fix it.  I'm kind of like that if you hadn't already noticed...
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »
I didn't mean do a reimage as in "day one" when you took it out of the box.  I just mean go into System Restore and roll back the registries to last week or right before it quit working.  If you have installed any new programs since that day you'll need to reinstall them.  Your files will be fine.  There is even an option to scan for progams that will be affected.  At least I guess that was in Win 8. 

As for why?  Probably some .dll crapped out or a memory slot wasn't available.  Heck it's like when a CPU card goes wonky so you do a major reset on the cabinet and it's fixed.  Crappy programming by MS is the most logical choice.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online telemarv

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
What Trace is suggesting should restore the driver. If you need the driver go to the manufacturer web site to get the one for the radio in YOUR laptop.

Also In the windows search bar, type blue tooth. Click on change blue tooth settings. It will open the blue tooth settings. You may find it is shut down or not accepting devices.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.