Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Autofill gone  (Read 2007 times)

Online EV607797

Autofill gone
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:34 PM »
I'm using Windows 8.1 on my laptop with a shell program to allow it to interact as if I have XP.  Recently, all of my sites, I mean ALL of them are requiring full login credentials, name and password.  Any idea what I did to cause this?  I'm using CCleaner to run a routine once per week on Sundays if that means anything.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Autofill gone
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
What browser? I see that with the Firefox final upgrade mentioned in my topic below I now get security warnings right on top of the login entries on sites like this that don't send the information securely. Facebook is the only one that does and doesn't have that happen. But auto-fill still works though I notice that at least one site (that has remember me checked) no longer does. But that happened awhile back. I have begun suspecting either the No script or Ad Block Plus add-on. Ever since I installed them I have had strange problems like this and things like unresponsive buttons on websites and not being able to download .pdf files. I suppose that's to be expected when you block scripting, but even if I disable the two it makes no difference. But if I go to another computer that is exactly the same except for those add-ons never being installed everything works fine.

-Hal 
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
CC Cleaner can wipe that information.  In fact a year or so back I seem to recall a bug in the program that was doing it even when configured correctly.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
That has happened to me on several sites (including this one) after a MozillaFirfox update.  I too use CCleaner regularly.

I just click on my name and get in.  So far, I haven't noticed anything else. 
Retired Now

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »
Well, the way to tell is after you enter your user and pass is it remembered? Does auto-fill then work until you run CC Cleaner?

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
I am also using Firefox.  In my case, I have to fill in EVERY login name and password, with one exception, which is Facebook.  After I log in, it tells me that next time, I can just click on my picture to log in automatically.  This usually lasts a day or so before I have to use the full procedure again.

It's frustrating because I have a YouTube account, as well as a Google calendar account that we use for work.  Every time I go to log into my personal YouTube account, I somehow inhibit my coworkers from being able to log into our calendar with their having to enter full credentials.

The only change that I've made to Firefox was to add a plug-in to allow me to download and save videos from YouTube, which was about a month ago.  Perhaps this has something to do with my issue, since the timing is similar.

I have CCleaner scheduled for weekly runs, but it has been like that for two years on this laptop.  This just started happening about a month ago and only on this laptop.  I can log into all of the same accounts from my office PC without having to enter anything.  Maybe I'll stop this weekly routine for a while and see what happens.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
What happens with this board, the old one and Holt? Is the login remembered? Interestingly I also have Video Download Helper on this machine but it's on the other machine too that doesn't have a problem.

-Hal

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
Here's what  I get on this site when I click on the  "more details" box. https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Protect-your-privacy/Insecure-password-warning-in-Firefox/ta-p/27861

It's from firefox.
Retired Now

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »
That's what I was trying to describe above. It's what I get too with the latest release of Firefox.

Sorry Ed, I forgot in your OP that you said ALL sites were affected. It might be that you received an automatic update of something that changed your security or the new version of whatever no longer allows auto-fill.

-Hal

Online EV607797

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »
Oddly, after Hal asked me about other sites, one did allow me in without my having to enter anything.  Very strange...

This isn't the end of the world for me, and it's probably best since it is my laptop that I carry with me when I travel.  If I were to lose it, the more security, the better, right?  I'm just curious as to how this just started happening.  I'm like that.  The old curiosity killed the cat thing.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:49 PM »
If you ever find out let me know. I've given up trying to figure out these weird problems that happen overnight.

-Hal

Online EV607797

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
It appears to be happening every night, meaning that I can be logged in all day by just doing it once, but the next day, I'm required to log in.  I thought maybe my CCleaner or PC's automatic backup/restore programs might be running nightly, but that didn't turn out to be the case.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
you could try & install an older version of firefox...
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online telemarv

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
It seems to be a CCleaner issue. It happened to me too. I'm using Chrome. CCleaner runs with Auto-fill unchecked and it still removes them.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »
OK, what about your cookies?  Are they being deleted by CCleaner?  Check your settings.  Windows 10 here with either Firefox or Chrome and no such problems.  I also use CCleaner as well...
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online telemarv

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »
Yep cookies unchecked. Win 7.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.