Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E-Mail shell for senior citizens?  (Read 832 times)

Online EV607797

E-Mail shell for senior citizens?
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:19:30 PM »
Hey, all.  I'm looking for something to get my parents (both 80+) away from their beloved AOL accounts.  I'd like to set them up with something that allows them to retain their AOL addresses while being more user-friendly and not full of ads.  They click on stuff, opening multiple tabs and end up saturating their system with crap.  I have to go in every night through TeamViewer and close these tabs for them.

I've started using Outlook.com for remote access to my work e-mail and it seems to work OK.  It's my understanding that this is the replacement for Hotmail.  I've found that using this in conjunction with AdBlockPlus, things seem to be working great.  The problem is that (if I understand it correctly), you have to enter POP/IMAP information for the associated accounts to be added to the Outlook.com account. 

I've gotten comfortable with Outlook.com and think that this is something that will work for them.  My concern is merging their AOL accounts with it.  Any suggestions or ideas?

Is that information even available for AOL accounts?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Keighlar

Re: E-Mail shell for senior citizens?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »
This looks like it might work:
http://pop2imap.com/aol_outlook_2013.php

I don't know if you are aware, but Adblock Plus is now selling ads. 
https://consumerist.com/2016/09/13/adblock-plus-goes-into-the-business-of-selling-ads-wait-what/

Depending on how you feel about this, you might want to consider using uBlock Origin, instead.  It doesn't have a plug-in for IE,  but it does for Chrome and FF.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss