Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PDF Programs  (Read 3358 times)

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
PDF Programs
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
I have a PDF program that I really like, but it intermittently does not print right.
So I got another PDF Program but I don't like it as well.

I can set either one up to open automatically when I click on a PDF file.

Here is my question. 
Is there any way to set up my computer, so that when I click on a PDF file, it will prompt me with something
like this -  Open with:  PROG#1  or  PROG#2

Anyone know of a little prog or batch file or something ?
Thanks

Jim
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: PDF Programs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
Jim I don't know if this is an acceptable solution, but when I right click on a file I I can choose "Open with," and both my pdf programs appear there.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
That was my first thought.  I have seen that with other files.  But it never shows up when I right click on a PDF file.  Have no idea why it would not show up.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
You shouldn't be having a problem. Been dealing with .pdf files from day one without any drama. What OS do you have?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »
OK - Let me clarify.  I just checked on what you were saying.

90% of the time I open files coming in from emails - I use Outlook.
I just checked files already on my system - you are right it does give me the option to open with.
I will now start using the right click on those.   THANKS.

BUT...........
It is the emails that come in with a PDF file attached and I do not get any option to open with for an attachment.
That is the majority of the time I try to open PDF files.  I forgot that it does give the option if it is already in my folder.

Any help with opening attachments ?
I really don't want to have to save the file and then open it.  But now that you say it, I guess that is an option.

Hal - I am using Window XP PRO

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
I'm using XP Pro too. I had to look to see what I'm using these days for a .pdf reader because it seems to be self perpetuating. It's Adobe Reader XI (11.0.08). Never had a problem with printing, I think your problem is that you might be using some freeware applications that probably aren't happy with Win XP. I would install Adobe Reader (free) and change your file association for .pdf to Adobe Reader- Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Scroll down to .pdf, click on it then change the "opens with" by clicking "change" then scroll to Adobe Reader.  Now when you click on a .pdf attachment or file it will always open with Adobe Reader. I really think that's all you need, uninstall those other ones.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
I have everything from Outlook open in Adobe Reader.  Then if I need to make changes or edit a pdf I open with PDF Enterprise Converter.  Unfortunately I know of no way to get a choice when opening out of Outlook unless you don't associate any program with pdf files.  Then when you doubleclicked a file it would ask what program you wanted to use to open it.

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
.........don't associate any program with pdf files.  Then when you doubleclicked a file it would ask what program you wanted to use to open it.

That is what I was hoping for, but It won't allow for no program.  I can't clear out that field.   I even put in a program that would not work.  It tried to open and put junk on the screen - but no option to open WITH.

Just thought maybe someone had some info I didn't know about.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »
.........don't associate any program with pdf files.  Then when you doubleclicked a file it would ask what program you wanted to use to open it.

That is what I was hoping for, but It won't allow for no program.  I can't clear out that field.   I even put in a program that would not work.  It tried to open and put junk on the screen - but no option to open WITH.

Jim, as I recall in XP there is a Delete button.  I think you delete the file type.

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 07:44:30 PM »
Jim, as I recall in XP there is a Delete button.  I think you delete the file type.

That was a YES and a no.  If I clicked on any other file type the Delete button was there.
If I clicked on the PDF file type the Delete button grayed out and I could not click on it.

But I kept at it - doing different things (don't even know what I did)  but suddenly the Delete button lit up.
So I deleted it.

So now it does give me a choice.
But only after I click on:
....Select the program from a list -  and click on OK.
....Then UNCHECK the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
....THEN  I can click on the program I want.

OK - You did find the answer -  but it is a long way to get to it.
Thank you very much.
I will see if that will work for me.
Hope I don't get frustrated having to click so many times to get to the choice.

Appreciate the Answer.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
Glad to help.  I just wish it had been a better solution. 

Online Keighlar

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
Trace always has an answer, though.   :066:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 11:36:33 PM »
Trace always has an answer, though.   :066:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, beautiful.   :011:

Jim, I gave it one more college try.  I wrote a bat file and assigned it to the pdf file type.  When I doubleclick on a pdf file it pops up and asks which program I want to use to open the pdf.  Unfortunately when I make the choice it opens the program, but not the file itself that we want to view in the program.  I was afraid that would happen, but had to try.

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »
Trace:

Thanks for the attempt.

If you don't mind - send me the batch file anyway.
Maybe I can expand on it.

My email is in my profile.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
Hey, Jim.  Sorry for the delay, but I had already deleted the file so I had to recreate it. 

I thought instead of emailing the actual file, I'd paste the code in here. That way maybe someone else might have some insight.

Ordinarily I would use the "Choice" command, but Choice was dropped in I think NT4 and didn't come back until Vista.  Apparently it was unstable in XP, so we're going to use a "Set" with a "/P" switch.

Here is what I started out using:

Code: [Select]
@echo off
PDF Selector
color 0a
echo.
echo 1.Adobe Reader
echo 2.PDF Enterprise Professional
echo.

set /p a=
IF %a%==1 ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe")
IF %a%==2 ("C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Professional 7\PDFPro.exe")
Exit

I saved this file as mypdf.bat, and selected that as the program to use to open pdf files.  As I was afraid of, however, when you double click on a pdf file, it will only launch the selected program, not open the subject file in that program.

To expand on the thinking a little further, you can add a path and filename at the end of the command line and it will open that file in the program.  For instance:

IF %a%==1 ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "C:\IwatsuManual.pdf")

In the above line of the code, I added "C:\IwatsuManual.pdf" in quotes after the command line for Adobe Reader.  That addition will cause IwatsuManual.pdf to open in Adobe Reader. 

I wonder if there is something we could place in that switch that would pull the original file that was the purpose of launching the bat file? It would be nice, but I have serious doubts about it. 

Maybe James will have some insight.

Update:  I figured it out.  If it doesn't load in this page, see my next post.