Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about USB ports  (Read 3872 times)

Online EV607797

Question about USB ports
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »
Hey, all.  I'm looking for a USB hub that will allow me to connect my USB dial-up modem and also my Magic Jack.  I have a 2.0 hub with external power, but my laptop doesn't recognize either device when connected to it.  It does recognize both devices when plugged directly into separate USB ports on my laptop.

I seem to recall Magic Jack saying that it can't be used with a hub, but I can't say for sure.  I am also not sure why that would be an issue.

I will say that my first thought was the USB extension cable that I was using to reach the hub was causing the problem, but that's not the case since the same thing occurs when I plug the hub directly into the laptop using the A-B cable that came with the hub.

I want to purchase a hub that will allow these devices to be located remotely from my laptop.  Most of what is out there for sale uses USB-C connectors to the PC, which is what I don't want.  Am I missing something or is there a certain brand/type of hub that I should be looking for?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
Re: Question about USB ports
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
I am using a 13-port USB hub by Inland.  It seems to work with 90% of my devices.
Although my MagicJack does not go through that device.
I upgraded to the MagicJack PLUS.  It connects directly to my switch - NO USB connection.
Never had a problem with MagicJack after that upgrade.
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Online telemarv

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 05:41:12 AM »
Does the hub work with other devices?
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online EV607797

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »
Yes, I'm able to connect an MP3 player, an external backlit keyboard and my iPhone to the hub with no issues.  I'm also not using the external power supply, so the laptop's USB port is powering the hub and all of these devices.  It is just the Magic Jack and 56K modem that aren't recognized.  I wonder if it has to do with the fact that both of these are voice devices?  I'm stumped.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:07 AM »
Ed many hubs don't provide sufficient power to run MagicJack.  At the very least you need to use the AC power and even then not all hubs are created equal.  The number of devices in the hub has a power effect as well.   
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »
That was my thought too, Trace.  The problem is that there's no difference whether I use the external power supply or not.  I did just notice that although it recognizes my iPhone, it doesn't charge it.  Still, it provides power for my backlit keyboard and charges the MP3 player just fine.  Strange.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 01:34:20 PM »
Here is an article on it, Ed:

http://ccm.net/faq/6967-magicjack-solving-usb-connectivity-issues

And here is a guy who claims "this USB hub" will work:

http://www.cutmybills.org/free-phone/magic-jack-power.htm

Online EV607797

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I'll be sure to check it out.  One thing that I've done in the interim is to try connecting these devices directly to USB ports on the laptop and they work fine.  I tried using a 12' USB extension cable from the same port to the same device and it fails.  They failed with two separate (brand-new) cables on the same ports with the same devices.  I guess they are serious when they say that they want these devices to plug directly into a USB port on the PC.  It appears that they get power, but communication must be distorted to the extent that they don't work

Update:  After adjusting the USB power management settings, I was able to get the modem to respond, dial and function even when using a 12' extension cable.  The key is that there's no audio through the laptop's speakers as is present when the modem is plugged directly into the port.  I'm guessing that it's a distance limitation.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
I'm guessing it all goes back to Ohm's Law, signal loss, and all that other stuff we learned back when we thought this was fun.   :011:

I have some powered USB cables that we made, but I've never looked for one online.  We had to power the USB cable for a long run between a camera on a gemology microscope and the computer that ran the camera software years ago, so this isn't new. 

Online NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
ED:

If you are trying to make phone calls through your computer mic & Speakers OR  headset then forget this post.

But if you are connecting MagicJack to a phone system or POTS phone,  I found SO much improvement when I went to the
MagicJack PLUS.   It does not use a USB port.  Although it does have two USB ports on it - so I guess you could still do that.

Mine connects to Power ( I have an extension cord for it)  and it connects directly to the router or to a switch.  And then
it also has the RJ11 for the phone.

I can turn my computer off and it still makes/receives calls. 
I had problems every so often before but once I went with this unit - I don't even remember it is there.
I have it connected to my Norstar Phone system and I use that line for Long Distant calling.
But because MJ does not have Line Supervision, I have it on FULL FORWARD to my main line so no calls come in and
goes to voice mail - because it will not disconnect.

That solves any USB problems.  It does not use it.
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Online EV607797

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
I think that maybe upgrading my Magic Jack is the proper solution.  This thing has been a thorn in my side since I bought it five years ago.  Not to mention, it practically takes over all of my laptop's processing capability.  I'm on it.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com