Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Removing Cedilla's in MS-DOS  (Read 2547 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Removing Cedilla's in MS-DOS
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »
Does anyone know how to delete an MS-DOS file which contains all cedilla "C" characters?   :002:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
Re: Removing Cedilla's in MS-DOS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
Have you tried using ALT + 135 to create the character?  Something like DEL ALT135*.*?

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »
I tried ALT 128 (for cedilla C) but is does not respond in the DOS operating system used in Samsung voicemails.  I know that works in windows. 
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:00:51 PM »
Does anyone know how to delete an MS-DOS file which contains all cedilla "C" characters?   :002:

I'm confused.  Are you trying to delete the file, or are you trying to create the character?  Delete should be as easy as del filename.ext unless it's protected, in which case attrib should fix that.  What am I missing?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:10:12 PM »
I'm trying to delete a file which contains all cedilla characters.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline silversam

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »
I used to use an MS-Dos program called "Quick DOS". It was a utility that let you create, rename, view hidden files and delete anything.

I'll look to see if I have a copy (I doubt it, but I'll look).

Sam

Online telemarv

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
Just tried it on CMD window which is a DOS prompt and it works. You have to use the number pad not the numbers above QWERTY.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:24 PM »
I'm trying to delete a file which contains all cedilla characters.

So this is on a DOS system.  What happens if you type del filename.ext at the prompt?  If it's write protected you should be able to remove the attributes using the attrib command. 

Wait; maybe you mean the Cedillia characters are in the filename.  Is that why you can't type the delete command?  If so just create a bat file on your windows machine, move it to the dos system, and run the bat file to delete the Cedillia named file.

Alternatively could you move the other files in the directory to a subdirectory long enough to delete it with wildcards such as *.* or *.ext?

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
Just tried it on CMD window which is a DOS prompt and it works. You have to use the number pad not the numbers above QWERTY.

I may have to use a different PC, this is on a netbook without a number pad.  One more point, I'm doing this over a serial link with a USB converter.

What happens if you type del filename.ext at the prompt?

Trace, that's the problem, you can type cedillas and the whole name consists of cedillas

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 06:33:33 AM »
Alternatively could you move the other files in the directory to a subdirectory long enough to delete it with wildcards such as *.* or *.ext?

I thought about that but there are a lot of files and this is a small (256mb) SD card with special formatting from Samsung.  I may try to find another SD card with the same directory that I can copy onto this SD card.  If I have that I will delete the whole directory.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
Okay, now I understand the challenge.  I'm sorry, Larry.  I read the question as wanting to delete a file containing Cedillas, not a file with Cedillas in the filename.  I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Can you create a bat flie in notepad on a Windows machine like I mentioned earlier?  Something like "del çççççççç.ççç" or whatever the fileneame is, then move the bat file and run it.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
Can you create a bat flie in notepad on a Windows machine like I mentioned earlier?

That will be worth a try!   :054:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline ttech

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »
How about the question mark?

for the file c:\testÇ.txt
use c:\del test?.txt

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

What I did;

I took the compact flash out of a working Samsung voicemail of the same revision and copied the whole directory in question to the "C" drive of my pc. Then I took the defective compact  drive and replaced the whole directory.

As I'm posting this I realize I could have removed the cedilla file names while the compact flash was connected to this PC!  :059:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
As I'm posting this I realize I could have removed the cedilla file names while the compact flash was connected to this PC!  :059:

:011:

It's okay, Larry.  We've all been there.