Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Do You Back-up Your Quickbooks?  (Read 2093 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
How Do You Back-up Your Quickbooks?
« on: March 03, 2016, 12:45:38 PM »
Copied from my QuickBooks email;

Why You Should NOT Backup to a USB Flash Drive

First, if you’ve been backing up to USB flash drives, you are to be commended for at least getting your data off your computer and onto a separate, removable backup drive. That’s better than keeping EVERY copy of your data on your hard drive alone. (Why? Because, of course, if all your backups are on your hard drive, and that hard drive goes down, you are in trouble!)

But you need to revise your backup strategy at least a little in order to be safer. Why? Because USB drives aren’t super reliable target drives for QuickBooks backups.

I talk to people all the time whose company file gets badly damaged somehow. They think they are OK — “I’ve got a ton of backups on my flash drive!” But when they plug in their flash drive and try to restore these backups, the backups are corrupted and unusable. Or the USB flash drive itself is dead. That makes for a bad day (and a day when people call me for QuickBooks file repair).

It’s better — more reliable — to backup to an external hard drive or a cloud drive.

But regardless of whether you want to have your backup file on a USB flash drive, external hard drive, or the cloud, do this: Backup to your Windows Desktop, then copy the backup file from Desktop to your ultimate backup destination through Windows.

Why do this extra step? Because writing data to your local hard drive (where Desktop lives) is fast and reliable. QuickBooks is designed to read and write data to hard drives very well. Writing data, especially large files, directly from QuickBooks to other kinds of drives, however, can be problematic. I believe that slower write times leads to file writing errors, which leads to restore problems later on.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline MooreTel

Re: How Do You Back-up Your Quickbooks?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
Interesting...maybe.  Did this email come directly from Intuit and if so why is when we set up QB it warns us NOT to backup to the hard drive?

I backup to several locations, 1 flash drive, 2 external hard drives and to my laptop so that at least 1 will work.
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »
2 weeks be for Sandy hit NY,1 of my techs, Teddy H, said to me is our server backed up to the Cloud. Of course it was not.  (Why am I going to pay monthly for that?)

As fate would have it, I started looking in to it.
With in days I decided to do it.   $28 per month I can live with.

7. Days to the day Sandy hits NY. Out of office 4.5 months.

So I call my Cloud back up company, expecting the WORST.

After telling them they told me what to do

1.  Buy new small inexpensive Server and plug into inter net.

So I went to Staples, spent $ 385 on a new server, plugged into my home internet and in less then
15 mins I was completely back in business. 

Truly today's technology a it's best.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
Did this email come directly from Intuit

Yes it did.

and if so why is when we set up QB it warns us NOT to backup to the hard drive?

Because if/when the hard drive fails you loose your working copy along with the backup.

I backup to a flash drive but use it to update a standby computer.  I always have 2 PC's running QB, both are current and in different locations.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline silversam

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:49:06 PM »

I backup to a flash drive but use it to update a standby computer.  I always have 2 PC's running QB, both are current and in different locations.

:045:

Way to go, Larry.

Back in the day I used to fly around the country and do "Disaster Recovery and Avoidance" Seminars for our clients. Off site, "hot" storage is the way to go.

Sam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »
QuickBooks is designed to read and write data to hard drives very well. Writing data, especially large files, directly from QuickBooks to other kinds of drives, however, can be problematic. I believe that slower write times leads to file writing errors, which leads to restore problems later on.

Seems to me that Intuit has some work to do. If QB has a problem writing to a USB drive then that needs to be fixed. Don't blame it on the user. I also wonder how much QBs vested interest in backing up to their cloud storage has to do with this.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
I also wonder how much QBs vested interest in backing up to their cloud storage has to do with this.

A lot!

They keep pushing to go to QuickBooks online.  When the option to have my own software goes away.....so will I!   :066:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
It's easy enough just to back it up to another computer on your LAN if you don't have an external. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:49:45 AM »
It's easy enough just to back it up to another computer on your LAN if you don't have an external.

:054:

We still have Dana's PC's on a network and this is how we back up her programs.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net