Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vista was replaced with a bootleg version of Windows 7  (Read 2842 times)

Online EV607797

Vista was replaced with a bootleg version of Windows 7
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
Oh boy, how do I get myself into these messes?

After visiting my mom this weekend, I saw that my sister had bought her a new Chrome Book so that she can get her AOL e-mail.  Yes, she is a senior citizen who is very reluctant to change, but I digress.  She wants her original Lenovo ideapad back, and I told her that I'd take it home and see if I can try to fix it.  Of course, she has no idea what is wrong with it.  It just doesn't work in her mind.

She paid some bandit repair shop $250.00 to supposely fix it the last time that it 'broke'.  From what I can tell, they installed a bootleg version of Win7 to replace the original Vista.  I seem to recall that Vista was a nightmare, but I still think that I should try to restore it to the original configuration and then go from there.  I have the certificate for the original Vista OS.

To make matters worse, the bandit apparently disabled the backup/restore function.  There are no restore points, although I'm pretty sure that there were some established at one point.

Is this possible and if so, can it be done inexpensively?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Vista was replaced with a bootleg version of Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
What's the problem with the Win 7?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
Ed I may be misunderstanding you, but it sounds like perhaps you're confusing Restore Points with the Recovery Partition.

I never used Vista and we never supported it, so my first response would be the same as Hal's, but I understand your mom doesn't like change.  

Assuming the hidden partition is in place on the hard drive, you should be able to restore the laptop to its factory original state by accessing the partition and telling it to restore.  You may need to google this because I never worked on any of the Vista Lenovos, but on most of them I think it's F11 (maybe F12) you start tapping from a cold boot.  If there is a ThinkVantage button on that laptop you may be able to use that instead.  It should bring you to a boot menu and you'll be looking for an option that says something like "Full Restore" and it will give you warnings that you'll lose everything on the drive.

If you do google it, don't confuse the restore with anything that has to do with Rescue CDs.  Those would be for if you had made back ups when it was still a Vista machine.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:37:51 PM »
I have an old IBM notebook and Trace is spot on with the recovery partition and the F11 key.   That will bring it back to the day it was new.         
Based on the amount of memory it can support, you may not want to go past Win7Pro 32bit which will run on 2 gig mem.   Win7Pro 64bit will need 4 gig mem. to operate properly.             
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
I have an old IBM notebook and Trace is spot on with the recovery partition and the F11 key.

How the manufacturer handles restoring the OS depends on what the purchaser paid for when they bought it. The cheapest have no means, then there is a CD library then the restore partition. Don't be surprised if there isn't anything.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
So........not all IBM PC's have this partition?  I was not aware of that.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online EV607797

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
F11 doesn't do anything upon bootup, however F12 does.  Still, the only options there are to restore defaults, but that didn't seem to change anything.  I spoke with my sister who said that she had someone from her IT department get into it remotely and he said that the 1.0G RAM is the problem.  I'm not buying that.

It is painfully slow, despite the fact that there are hardly any programs on it and not much of anything actually running.  Most programs that I try to run stop responding and I end up having to use the three finger salute to halt them.  I loaded and ran CCleaner, which seemed to remove a bunch of garbage to where the hard drive is down to about 17% from a former high of about 30%.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »
he said that the 1.0G RAM is the problem.  I'm not buying that.

Actually I agree with this......one way to prove it would be to go to the windows Task Manager and click on the performence tab.

You can see how much memory is being used and also see if something is eating processor time.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:12 PM »
Do you have a blue ThinkVantage button?

Offline Skip555

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
Ed,why not work with her on getting used to the Chromebook ?  sounds like it will do just what she needs .
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online EV607797

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
No, Trace.  There are no blue buttons on it at all.  Only orange ones that appear to control audio output and balance.

Skip, she's 80 years old and very reluctant to change.  She has done nothing but complain about the Chromebook since my sister bought it for her.  She has a bad taste in her mouth about it, so I don't see there being much hope in getting her to accept it.  She wants what she had, at least when it worked.  I can't say that I blame her.

I may be wasting my time.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
Ed, I'm very strong on THINKpad products, and have no experience with the IDEApad line.  The Think line has a "TYPE" code on them that will look something like this format:  6459-CTO

You might try calling Lenovo, or if you'd like to post the model of the Ideapad maybe one of us can find hte procedure.

Online EV607797

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:50:26 PM »
Well, I went to Google to see if there was anything out there on this subject.  It's a Y430 model and I found that there is a "OneKey" button next to the power button, however this was disabled (as was F11 functionality) when the original Win 7 OS was replaced.  Apparently, starting it and holding this button will access the option to restore it to factory settings when it works, but now it only functions as another power button.  All of the buttons and indicators on this unit employ international symbols, so I'd never have had a clue what an counter-clockwise curved arrow meant.  There are actually several YouTube videos that address this specific issue, so I have found that I'm not alone.

I managed to start it using safe mode and was able to get to a good restore point that allowed me to at least get it to talk to me.  I removed a bunch of garbage programs that had been installed in the startup menu which helped a lot.  Between doing this, running CCleaner and doing a full wipe of the C: drive (DEFRAG), it runs more realistically now.  Since all that my mother uses this laptop for is to access AOL, I'm content with the repair.  It is still very slow to start up, but once I have her AOL page open, it functions just fine.  I'll tell her to just leave it turned on, which she does anyway, and I think it will be fine.

As always, thanks for the help and suggestions.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »
Well I'm glad you got it back to where she wanted it.  :054:

Online silversam

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
Good job, Ed!

Sam