Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Photo Viewer  (Read 2421 times)

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Windows Photo Viewer
« on: November 21, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
I just reimaged a Win 7 64 Pro machine, and now all of the file types associated with Windows Photo Viewer (gif, jpg, etc.) all display the same icon.  This can be an issue when due to graphic work you have two files named the same, but one is a gif, and one is a jpg.  I would try to just reload Windows Photo Viewer, but you can't really do that.  Anyone seen this before?

Here is the icon showing up for all the file types:

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Windows Photo Viewer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »
Isn't that how windows works? If you have a file extension associated with a program you see the program icon for any of the associated extensions.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
I think you can right click each icon and it will ask what program to open with.  Once it is opened it will continue to use that file. It will be a PITA if you have lots of files!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »
You don't see the program icon per se with Windows Photo Viewer.  Normally you'll have the different graphic icons for the different graphic files.  Unfortunately since this program runs from a dll, and not an exe it's not like you can just reinstall it.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
When I look at the icon image you posted it's only about 1/4"x1/4" so I can't tell anything from that. Windows program manager will show the icon of the application associated with the file. (But you know all that.) So I assume then that you are talking about a files list from within Photo Viewer. The file name is displayed but no extension? So it uses a different icon for each file type? I can see how that would cause a problem. Maybe your problem is because of a Windows upgrade? Hidden setting someplace?

I've never used Photo Viewer since there are plenty of better graphics viewers out there.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
Photo Viewer is just a default that's good for when you double click on an image and then want to right or left arrow through everything in that folder.  You wouldn't use it for anything real.  I have everything from Photoshop to Infranview for actual work.  You would just use this to quickly view an image as it loads virtually instantly.

When I refer to different icons, here is an example.  The graphic below shows the same file saved in three different formats.  The first one is a bmp, followed by a gif, and then a jpg, but since the reload all are showing that generic icon.