Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7 & 8 users are capable of getting the new Win. 10 Upgrade for Free  (Read 2235 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
The fact that it is free causes me a lot of concern about this new version!   :066:

Windows 10 System Requirements

Make sure your computer is capable of upgrading to Windows 10.

System requirements for Windows 10:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 800×600

You can find your system specs by going to the Start button and typing msinfo32.exe into the search box.

For the record, I will not upgrade!   :066:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Tons of compatibility problems with Edge (the new MS browser) and anything left over from 32 bit IE, or legacy software.

Stick with Windows 7 for now, unless you yourself know how to change the registry and troubleshoot compatibility issues. Better yet, just buy a Mac :)
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
Re: Windows 7 & 8 users are capable of getting the new Win. 10 Upgrade for Free
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
I'm sticking with Windows 7 for now. It's everything I've become accustomed to from Windows. 8 and 10 are just too off the wall for me.

ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Windows 7 & 8 users are capable of getting the new Win. 10 Upgrade for Free
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
 :054:

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
Think you want to stay on Windows 7 or 8 ???
Guess again.
Microsoft says, "We will automatically upgrade you."

http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/windows-10-to-automatically-download-on-your-pcs/

Just make sure you don't have AUTO updates enabled.
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Here's one many don't know, and I didn't either until very recently.  In fact my sister's husband was in charge of logistics and procurement for a large health care system and didn't know about this one, and he dealt with MS daily.

I recently needed to add some ThinkPads, and it was getting a little harder to get them with Win 7.  Of course you could get them with Win 8 with a “Windows 7 downgrade” which costs extra.  Here's the rub.  If you ever have to reimage, you lose access to the Windows 7 downgrade and can never get it back.  Fortunately we were able to go with a "last year's model" on the new laptops with Win 7 64 bit Pro (not part of a downgrade) and then just spend the few extra bucks to upgrade the processors to the current standard.  

Automatic updates are also disabled on all machines we maintain and in fact Microsoft is blocked at the firewalls.  When it comes to Microsoft we're more afraid of the fix than the threat.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.