Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft Office VS OpenOffice  (Read 5688 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Microsoft Office VS OpenOffice
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:03:50 PM »
I've been using MS Office for a long time, owning versions 95, 97, 2003, and 2007.    I never bothered with MS Office 2010.   Yesterday I ordered a new notebook PC and considered purchasing MS Office 2013.   

The reviews on this product are terrible!!!!! Just to highlight some of the concerns;

A)  Custom  installation  is no longer available
B)  You receive a license key only, product must be downloaded from MS
C)  You have to open an account with MS to do this
D)  Loads only to the "C" drive
E)  Forces you to save files to the cloud. (this is very difficult to turn off)

I downloaded OpenOffice for evaluation.  BTW, it's free.   

I don't mind paying for a product but I don't like the direction this product (MS Office) is going.

What are your thoughts/experiences?   
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline telemarv

Re: Microsoft Office VS OpenOffice
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
And I believe you have to renew the licence every year too. I've stuck with 2007 and not budging.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online silversam

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Went out with my son last week and picked up a new computer for him. Best Buy gave him a years free to Office 365 and he took it. He figures he'll decide in a year whether or not to keep it.

I'll ask him how he likes it.

Sam

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
And I believe you have to renew the licence every year too. I've stuck with 2007 and not budging.

I have also heard that is where Microsoft is heading.   I moved from '97 when I started to get documents with .docx extension.  I know there was a download patch to read them in the older versions but it was time to move forward.

Sam I hear MS Office 2013 is designed to be like Office 365.     
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
I know of many businesses that are still using Office 2003.

The people I know using Open Office love it, but there is no Outlook, and I don't think there is an option for MS Access in it.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »
I tried open office  but went back to MS office 13 suite

we've had it  few years we got it from a re-seller as a download  so no MS account needed

I don't recall being forced  to save to the cloud  we save locally

We don't have more than c drive so that wasn't a issue

we haven't had to renew a licence and its been a couple of years

my biggest complaint is in scanning , the only way to do it on Suite is to use One note  it works OK but not as verisitle  as scanning  directly to word
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online silversam

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
Office 365 seems to be very like Office 2013, except 365 has yearly fees as opposed to a one time purchase price.

My son had to open a Microsoft account to register (and install) it. He thinks he'll get used to it, but so far he's none too happy.

I've been running MS Word 2008 for the Mac and it's OK though recently I've been messing with Apple's WP Pages.

I needed to put together a handout for a Luncheon and went looking for a template for a tri-fold brochure. I could not find one that worked in Word for love or money. I did find one in Pages and while I wasn't thrilled with Pages, in all fairness I've really never used it and don't know anything about it and did produce a very nice, workable brochure in an hour or two.

Under OS/2 I used to use a Word Processor called DeScribe that was excellent. I still miss it.

Sam

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:13:54 AM »
The first real word processor I had was WordPerfect.  Since I don't like to change what works, and because WordPerfect is cheaper, I kept using it. Of course I had to have a copy of Office because clients would sometimes send files in Word or Excel.  WordPerfect started getting a little buggy, so I finally made the switch to Office about a year and a half ago.  I really like Office 2013.

I use Office 365 Home Premium.  You can find it for $70/year from Amazon.  While that sounds high, you can put it on 5 different PCs (or Macs).  You also get 1TB of cloud storage with Microsoft's "OneDrive".  There are also apps for Android and iPhone/Pads.

While I know some of you don't like the ideal of having your information in the "cloud", it really is convenient.  We keep programming records in Excel, so if I need to see something in the field, I can just open the file on my laptop, or my phone.  Customer wants to unexpectedly talk about a proposal while I'm at their office, no problem...I just pull up the proposal.  Need to work on a file at home or someone else's PC?  No problem, I can use the online version.  Plus, your files are backed up.

You do not have to save anything in the cloud.  You can save the file to any drive, just like you can with the other versions of Word/Office.

One of the complaints you mentioned was that you only receive a license key and you must download the software.  That may be true (I'm not sure), but it is 2015.  Heck, a lot of laptops no longer even come with a CD/DVD drive.

IMO, Office is one thing MS actually does well.  It would seem difficult to do business without Office, but not impossible.  Now, if I was retired or in another line of work, I would definitely consider another option.  You should look at LibreOffice, http://www.libreoffice.org/.  It's probably a little more up-to-date than OpenOffice. They were once the same product, but broke apart.

You can also get a free trial for MS Office.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »
It sounds like Larry and Skip are in favor of MS Office 2013, what's in the water down there?   :011: :066: :015:

All kidding aside there are a few positive posts on Newegg about the product.  As Skip points out, there is a way for a reseller to install/provide without an account. While I can see the benefits of cloud storage there are some files I would never put there.  I can also see where you have to pick and choose what files you send to the cloud.  There is no problem with cloud storage (if used properly), I just hate the push to the cloud for everything. In my ancient mind desktops and notebooks are still new technology.  Today everything is on a damn I-phone, and everything is written around the damn thing.  I'm tired of companies such as Microsoft making me feel like an old buffalo hunter who's time is past!  I enjoy owning everything outright, I don't like having anyone keeping a siphon in my pocket!  

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online Keighlar

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:53:57 AM »
I use Open Office at home and MS Word 2013 at work.  I like Word simply because I know it better.  I can do most things in OO that I can do in Word, but it takes me longer because I have to look around for how to do it.  OO also has difficulty translating complex Word documents into a readable format.

I grew up using WordPerfect, switched to Word once I hit the business world, and started using OO at home when my Word 2005 CD no longer worked. Word continues to be my favorite simply because I feel like I have more flexibility (though there are still things I would change).

We switched to MS 365 at work a while ago.  I'm not sure why, but just a few months later, the PTB got rid of it and replaced it with 2013.  We store files wherever we want to, including network locations.  I didn't even know that OneDrive was supposed to be tied into it. There are some things that take a little getting used to, but that's mostly centered around MS moving things again.  If they stopped doing that I would be thrilled. 

We don't use the cloud storage. I simply synchronize the network files I need available to my laptop and they are available to me whenever I need them without putting them out there in the ether.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:11 AM »
I remember Wordperfect, it was the program everyone was using in the late 1980's!  Once again I was behind the times, using WordStar on an NEC computer with two 8 inch floppy disk drives with an operating system call CPM86!  

As you can see, I have difficulty with change!   :022:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 03:18:33 AM »
OpenOffice is not 100% compatible with MS office files. Especially the new .docx, .xlsx, etc. Micro's created in MS Excel don't work reliably in Openoffice if they work at all. Tables may or may not format correctly and there is a ton of other compatibility issues.

If you send OpenOffice files to other people that use MS Office you'll have all kinds of issues.

I'm still using MS Office 2007 and have no plans to change to a newer version
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
While there are many similarities between the 2013 and 365 strands of the Office family, it is Office 2013 that should be regarded as the natural successor to Office 2010. This is software in the traditional sense. You buy it for a one-time fee, install it, own it; it’s yours and cloud account is not required.

Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
Didn't read every comment here but I use 360 for a year and a half. Did have to renew license.

I like 360 very much.  Just my 2 cents.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
I received my new notebook the other day and decided to install my copy of MS Office 2007.  All is well with Win 7 PRO 64 bit and MSO 2007.   The new PC did come with a copy of Office 365 which I'm sure has a trial period, but I'm not interested.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net