Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Move  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
Hard Drive Move
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
I have been using a Panasonic CF29 laptop for a long time. Recently I began having complications with the network card, I think. I decided to search for a replacement network card and came across a duplicate Pana minus a hard drive for $80 and bought it thinking all I would need to do is install the HD from the old laptop and it would boot right up. It doesn't !

Is there a procedure under F2 I should follow or something along those lines?
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Hard Drive Move
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »
John when you say it's a duplicate, do you mean that it's already imaged for your system?  What I mean is does it already have Windows installed on the HD along with all the correct drivers?

If not Ghost would be a quick way to do the Curly Shuffle.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
What I meant by duplicate is both laptops are Panasonic CF29's. The hard drive is in a carrier that easily removes and installs into either laptop. The operating system is XP.

I can install the hd in the new unit and the boot process seems to stumble along the way. I can return the hd to the original laptop and the first boot seems to have an extra step in it that I can't describe, but it does boot.

My 10 year old Dell bit the dust last week an the CF29 is the only thing reasonable I have left to do business with so I am hesitant to experiment.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
XP had a catch in it that would allow you to change X out of X parameters.  I don't remember for sure, but I think it was maybe 3-4 things could be different as in memory, processor speed, cache, etc.  If more than that were different, it would scream, "You're trying to steal me" and I forget what happened after that.  This was an attempt to keep people from Ghosting drives and making unlimited installs of Windows.

If that's the case, then I guess you would hit whatever key combination it is to access the hidden restore partition like you mentioned, then during the install it will likely ask for your Windows Key Number which is probably on a hologram type sticker on the bottom of your laptop.  Of course Ghosting your existing drive is still an option as well, but when playing with two identical drives you really have to pay attention to make sure you don't Ghost the wrong one.  :022:

No I didn't do it, but I thougth I might have once.  :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
As Trace stated... the OS sees the PC as new, so it's updating. If you leave it go for a while it *should* be okay. You'll likely need to re-activate the OS, but if they are exactly the same internally then you should be fine.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline liquidvw

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »
I would move all your documents and necessary files to a flash drive.  Leave the OS and all software behind.  Install the new HD.  Re install the OS.  Reinstall your software.  Move you files back from flash.