Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: YouTube Video issues?  (Read 2470 times)

Online EV607797

YouTube Video issues?
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
Well, here I am again as the computer illiterate one.  I haven't been able to view anything on YouTube lately.  I'm able to pull up what I want, I'm able to watch the usual commercial preamble, and every once in a while, I'm able to get a few seconds of the video itself.  It then reverts to the spinning circle to nowhere and nothing ever happens after that.

I will say that this only started occurring on my laptop since I was out of town and used WiFi at a rental house.  At first, I just chalked it up as a possible restriction that the homeowner had on their WiFi access, but I'm home now with no restrictions.  I'd say that is is safe to assume that the issue is in my laptop, but I don't know how or why something like this would have happened.  I sure didn't do anything (that I know of) to cause this.

I should add that I always get the same exact Sprint commercial before this happens, regardless of ANYTHING that I try to view on YouTube.

Any ideas?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online silversam

Re: YouTube Video issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
Sounds like a virus, Ed. Do you have a desktop in the house, or another laptop that you can try on the same internet connection?

Or take the laptop to the library or a Starbucks and try it there....

Sam

Offline telemarv

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »
I had that issue with Netflix on my living room PC.

Try these guys
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

They're scan found the problem.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »
Ed they may be right on point, and malwarebytes is a great tool.  One other thought that comes to mind though is it almost sounds like something is cached.  I assume you've already cleared your cookies, cache, history, offline files etc.  If not I'd suggest doing that as a precaution.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
I've had a much better time since I downloaded CCleaner, Avast, and MalWareBytes---all free downloads.  I'm sure that there are better programs out there, but for free---these aren't too bad.  I've just got to make sure I update them, and keep them in all of our laptops and PCs.  Sometimes I let things lapse, and I get into a bit of trouble.  I also have to make sure I watch the "extra" stuff when I download Java or other programs.  Those extra search programs and junk that sometimes come with the downloads can be really irritating.
Retired Now

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
Ironically, I had already installed MalwareBytes and am surprised that it didn't catch the cause of the problem.  I went ahead and ran a manual scan and it found/quarantined one file that may have been the culprit.  I also cleared the Internet cache and everything seems to be working again.  I'm not sure which action cured the problem, but I'm back in business now.

As always, many thanks for the assistance.  :008:
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com