Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comcast tech , there must be something wrong with your PBX  (Read 19954 times)

Offline Skip555

Comcast tech , there must be something wrong with your PBX
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
Got a call from the manger of one location of a long time customer .

they where in the process of  switching to Comcast and everything works but they cant dial out on line one , they can receive but not call out  the other two lines work fine

Comcast "tech"  says your PBX isn't programmed right

I call in and she puts it on speaker

I ask her could you dial out before he got there

yes

well the only thing that's changed is the service being provided I haven't been there in a couple of years and certainly didn't change any programming ,he needs to correct it

he tells me the lines are now "digital " and I need to program my equipment to match them

well why do lines 2 and 3  dial out   ? I ask

yes they tell me

I suggested that if they wanted to watch square pants sponge bob  Comcast was the place to go but  if they wanted phone service they should go with a phone company

the owner called me latter and we had a nice chat and she said she told the Comcast tech the same thing

"it worked when you got there , make it work now "

She said if they cant straighten it out in a day or two she will have me go by then bill Comcast for my time

she told me that another location they did Comcast didn't ground the equipment and they had a power surge that took out the sonic wall and some other network equipment. She is billing them for it and they say they will pay 
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Comcast tech , there must be something wrong with your PBX
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
Skip, Ken has had us back charging phone companies for about 10 years.  We bill the client and they forward the bill to their carrier.  I was amazed, but she is right; they do pay.  In reality they're probably still saving money by paying the bill for someone competent to fix it instead of paying their own Bozos to stand around and play rock, paper, scissors.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »
Comcast has messed up more than a few of my customers and they have paid for my time.  When line one works again take it off your system, then dial it and don't answer, see if they put voicemail on it. They put voicemail on line one every damn time here and sometimes it answers before mine causing problems. It's a PITA to get them to take it off and if there is ever a service call they put it back on again!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:22:46 AM »
I just can't WAIT until the Comcast/TW merger.  It's going to make my life so much more fun.   :035:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline KENB

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
Comcast is following the Verizon model ,same crap different face.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
Several years ago, we decided to stop fighting them and join them.  We became Comcast and Charter Partners---and we order the circuits ourselves---thus having a bit more control over the situation. 

On the order form I always put in the notes--"Customer does NOT WANT VOICEMAIL !!  If you must put voicemail on, make it answer after 99 rings.  Thank you. Any questions, please call me"

We try not to even have EMTA/Analog lines on the circuit---preferring to order SIP trunks ourselves.  When we do THAT---it's really a piece of cake---the SIP trunks can be up & running in minutes.  We have complete control over them.  Of course, we have to have our IP system in place---but that's the point.  I love SIP trunks!!  Coupled with ordering and configuring the circuit, it makes the hours of frustration that we used to have---just go away.

Retired Now

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:43:25 PM »
On the order form I always put in the notes--"Customer does NOT WANT VOICEMAIL !!  If you must put voicemail on, make it answer after 99 rings.  Thank you. Any questions, please call me"

That's some really good information Mick. 

Thanks.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
Yep.  The thinking is-----you're just not going to change the idiots from being idiots.  About 5 years ago, when I saw a Comcast tech come in with a "hospital" throw-away phone for a butt-set....I knew the industry was in trouble. 

Even though we have control over more stuff ---now that we order the circuits---the idiots are still out there.  But the circuit guys aren't too bad.  They can be challenging but we now know what to expect from them.  The idiots will never change.  I just want us to stay away from them---and so should you.  Some of these guys are outright dangerous.  Stay away from them!!!
Retired Now

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »
And the Comcast battle continues!!!!!!!

This week I received 2 service calls from 2 different customers, both have Comcast and both have the same problem.

For some reason, on established account, Comcast feels the need to go in and make changes (customer never called for any service) to the account.  This week they decided to add a fax line in the hunt group of the LDN!  When you  call and ask why, they don't know but in correcting it they decide to again put voicemail on line one.

WTF is it with these idiots?????????? :035:

Thank you Comcast for all the extra billing I'm able to do!  :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 06:16:45 AM »
That scares me, because we're starting to deal with a lot more Comcast installed areas. "Knock on wood", so far we haven't had any issues... but this thread seems to beg to differ.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline ttech

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
I have a customer on Sip trunks (not comcast trunks) using a comcast data circuit.

The tracert and ping times between the 2 and third hops are in the 300ms range at times.  I there are 9 hops so is is in the neighborhood where the problem is.

Well there is no latency guarantee that I can find so my customer is out of luck.  My friend had a similar experience and the comcast tech came out and hooked up a laptop, did a speed test and said "its good, you are getting the speed you pay for", and left.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »
Yeah, they like the blip in time called a speed test. Means almost nothing, without constant monitoring and latency/jitter/loss data too.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com