Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Magic wire  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Skip555

Magic wire
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »
Interesting

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxXSJSS3aA8#t=38[/youtube]
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline silversam

Re: Magic wire
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
Certainly good for residential. Not so good for commercial, where exposed wire - if you're adhering to the EIA/TIA 569 spec - is a no-no. Certainly NG for industrial....

It seems like it's a coax replacement, not fiber. Fios brings fiber in to the house and then runs coax and Cat5E to the locations in the house (at least from what I've seen)

Sam

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:25 AM »
It seems like it's a coax replacement, not fiber. Fios brings fiber in to the house and then runs coax and Cat5E to the locations in the house (at least from what I've seen)

That's what I've seen too but that is clearly fiber. Maybe they are going to fiber cable boxes? That does look awfully fragile and like you said might be good for hiding it in residential but its usefulness anywhere else is questionable. Also, it takes Verizon about two days to do a normal FiOS install, how long will it take to do one of those?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:53:20 AM »
It seems like it's a coax replacement, not fiber.

It looks similar to what we are using to bring fiber inside the residence. If it is... it's a single strand of fiber and it's incredibly strong with an amazing bend radius.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »
Marc, have you been locating the ONT deep inside the residence or are you using the fiber for something else?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »
Marc, have you been locating the ONT deep inside the residence or are you using the fiber for something else?

-Hal

Yes... the new ONT goes inside the house with the modem.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline djhacker

• Mr Telco
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »
Great for apartments where cable wiring is a problem. Not too sure on all those nasty bends in that fibre, also is that MM or SM fibre?
Mr Telco - Phone line installations & Data Networks. Downunder Australia!

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 01:00:05 AM »
I don't buy the hidden aspect of it. Those stick-on pieces look rather large to me and the fiber doesn't stick to the surface it's just help in place under tension and depending on the installer it could end up a massive mess in a short time. I never see any type of stick-on that stayed stuck to ruff wall surfaces very long.
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Until you use it you probably shouldn't knock it...

As I said we've been using it for a while now, but we just had the product people come in to do a demo. I actually saw the guy tie a knot in the fiber and then pull on it with very little loss of signal. When applied properly to white baseboards it's invisible. I'm impressed with the product we are using and not much impresses me anymore.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring