Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VGA output question  (Read 7891 times)

Online EV607797

VGA output question
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
I'm trying to figure out just how useful the VGA port on my new laptop really is.  What I'm trying to do is to extend the screen's display onto my TV.  I bought a bunch of cables that would supposedly make this happen, but I'm not having any luck.

When I use the component adapter cable, the laptop acknowledges that the cable is connected, yet when I connect the R/G/B cables to the TV, I get three vertical columns on the TV screen, each showing a tightly-condensed version of the laptop's display.  Each one is identical, just separated by what appears to be a brown vertical line.

I also got an adapter cable that has a yellow video output, plus an S-Video connector.  No luck in getting the composite yellow cable's output to do anything; just a blue screen.  I don't have an S-video cable to try it, but I don't think that it will make any difference.

Any ideas?

Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline telemarv

Re: VGA output question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Do you not have a VGA port on the TV?

If it's a new  laptop it probably also has an HDMI output.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
If it's a new  laptop it probably also has an HDMI output

I agree with Marv, this is what you should use.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Ed as I recall I never had much luck going straight cable from the VGA to component on the old plasma sets.  I think we always had to go through a converter box, but it's been a while.  Now going from VGA on the laptop to VGA on the back of an LCD set has never been an issue. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »
It is an older TV that I recently acquired.  It doesn't have a VGA or HDMI input.  I was hoping that it might just be a setting in the laptop.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »
It is an older TV that I recently acquired.  It doesn't have a VGA or HDMI input.  I was hoping that it might just be a setting in the laptop.

There are some converter boxes that should get you there.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »

You're not going to get very good resolution.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »

You're not going to get very good resolution.

I bet it'll be like the old "composite" resolution!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline dtmf

• Pro Shop Member
    • All Types phone Service
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
Is there by chance a USB port on the old tv
I swear I didn't touch it

Online EV607797

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »
No, Russ.  This is an OLD television.  It only has composite and component inputs, aside from the usual compliment of CATV inputs.  No HDMI or USB.  Those weren't even invented when this TV was built.  It is <gasp> ten years old.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
Ed we used a device similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenkeng-104724-Monoprice-VGA-RCA/dp/B001CJOLBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398434749&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+composite+component

You might try reading the reviews.  They've come way down in price.  This one shows $15.99 with 2-Day Shippping if you're a Prime Member.

Offline dtmf

• Pro Shop Member
    • All Types phone Service
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
Hmmmmm  I have an old Samsung without HDMI or VGA but has a USB port that I got Chromecast on and it works great with my wifi using my laptop to the tv over wifi. That's why I asked. Looks like the link from Trace would do the trick for yours.
I swear I didn't touch it

Online EV607797

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
Well, I'm back to revisit this issue.  For Christmas, my son bought me one of the adapters similar to the link that was posted earlier.  It has a VGA input and pass through output, plus a yellow component video output and S-Video.  None of them work.  All that I get is a rolling image of my desktop, pretty much in black/white.  It appears to be rolling at a rate of about 120 Hz.  I've tried all of the various video settings on my laptop, and they do change what is seen on the TV screen, but nothing ever results in anything but some variation of a rolling picture of my desktop. 

The adapter has a menu button for settings, and that does come up on the screen, but again, it is just there at a rapid rolling rate.  This occurs even when the laptop's VGA isn't connected.  For this reason, I don't think that there's anything wrong with the laptop's output or settings.  I suppose that the adapter could be bad, since this condition occurs on any input I try to use on the TV.  I'm stumped and frustrated, especially since this is probably due to some silly little issue.  Anybody have any more ideas to try?
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
I agree with you Ed in that I don't believe it's related to the laptop itself.  Are there any adjustments you might have available on the TV?

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
Could you provide more information about the adapter. Like manufacture and model.

RGB and component signals are not compatible.
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448