Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not loving Windows 8!  (Read 5652 times)

Offline EV607797

Not loving Windows 8!
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
It reminds me of an iPhone.  If I want this kind of interaction, I'll use my iPhone.

Is there any chance that I can downgrade to Windows 7 on a computer using 8?  I know that Windows 8.1 has a means to emulate other Windows versions, but I would rather just run the thing on 7 with nothing else.  Frankly, I'd much rather have XP.

Am I pissing up a rope here?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Not loving Windows 8!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »
Ed it's likely going to depend on the piece of hardware you bought.  There may not be Win7 drivers for it.

I find that when we order commercial grade systems, we can't get 8 on them even if we wanted it, not like that's a problem.

I understand Dell is charging a PREMIUM charge to get a system loaded with 7 instead of 8.  I believe it's like a $50 bump more to get 7 instead of 8.  Again not like I'd buy so much as a battery from them.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
It reminds me of an iPhone.  If I want this kind of interaction, I'll use my iPhone.

That's what Windows 8 is designed for. Computers are now antiques!

look here;

http://www.myphonetechs.com/index.php?topic=5073.0
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline ttech

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »
http://www.classicshell.net/ will make it look and feel like windows 7

Offline KLD

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35:28 AM »
The  traitor returns....several months ago I ordered a Dell laptop (yes, I'm outdated, also...) but it was loaded with 7 at my request.  I don't see an upcharge (this was 3 months ago or so?).  And 8 is for the grandkids...... :011:
Ken passed away on November 9, 2016, and will always be remembered.
Thank you, Ken for all your years of being a moderator, member, inspiration, and friend to all.

Anyone who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of them; better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford

Ken

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
http://www.classicshell.net/ will make it look and feel like windows 7

Agreed.

Here's a few other changing adds for others looking - http://www.techguylabs.com/blog/make-windows-8-work-more-windows-7

There's also the option of - "It ain't going anywhere, so get used to it" approach... but not many are a fan of it.

Me, I'm still clinging to my Windows 7 Lenovo laptop as much as I can for Windows related work... however, 80% of my daily work is done on my 11" MacBook Air i5, which is a WORKHORSE! I've beat this thing to near death. Drops on concrete, 12fl oz. of water spilled directly on keyboard, dropped in a bag from a rooftop... yet, as hard as I unintentionally try - the Might Mavericks OSX Phoenix rises again and again!
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline EV607797

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
Spot on, Don.  That link was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for the tip.  I'm officially up and running now.

Yes, I agree that we all have to adapt to a society where life revolves around cell phones and their display limitations, that stupid gear thing that is supposed to be the magic button, etc.  When I die, I'll accept that requirement.  Until then, I'm going to go out of my way to dodge that bullet.

It always amazes me how I often have an answer to my computer issues here within minutes.  Smart fellers indeed.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline EV607797

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »
Just an update regarding the ClassicShell application:  I forgot to turn off the automatic Windows updates feature and learned today that when it gets done, it completely screws up the placement of icons on the start/home page.  Not a big deal, but it reminded me to turn off the automatic updates option.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »
Just an update regarding the ClassicShell application:  I forgot to turn off the automatic Windows updates feature and learned today that when it gets done, it completely screws up the placement of icons on the start/home page.  Not a big deal, but it reminded me to turn off the automatic updates option.
good info
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Online Keighlar

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
It's taking an awful lot of beating Microsoft up to get them to realize they made a mistake.  They are (TOO) slowly starting to rectify some of their stupidity.  I'm just hoping that by the next release they return to a desktop that makes sense for people that want to get work done and not just play on Facebook.  In any world, I am skipping Windows 8 at the very least.  Fingers crossed for some common sense to return in the meantime.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online telemarv

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
Stacy... :054:
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline EV607797

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 10:01:30 PM »
As you've all probably learned by now, I'm not very computer-literate.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels that W8 is a complete debacle.  Thank you all for helping me regain what is left of my sanity.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline AtlasRichard

• AtlasPhones.com
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 10:03:26 AM »
Windows 8.1 has not been a fun experience for me. I recently purchased two computers and both of them crash all the time due to programs not running well with 8.1. I've noticed spotify and adobe illustrator seems to always be running when mine crashes.