Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lost login name/password on XP  (Read 3479 times)

Offline EV607797

Lost login name/password on XP
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
Hey, All:

We have a PC in the office that we are trying to use, but nobody seems to know the user name or password to log onto windows using XP.  Is there any way around this that a telephone man can understand?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Lost login name/password on XP
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:10 AM »
1. Restart your computer, and when you see the BIOS POST screen (basically, a few seconds after you hit the power button), alternate pressing Ctrl and F8.
2. When the Windows boot menu appears, select any of the safe modes offered.
3. On the login screen, you should see an “Administrator” login option. If you don’t, press Ctrl + Alt + Del twice and type in “Administrator” and leave the password area blank.
4. Windows should now start up, and you can go to the Control Panel and reset your user password.
5. You can also open Command Promt on any account (under Accessories) and then type "net user (your user name) password" with no parentheses and that automatically changes any accounts password to what you typed in for "password"
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline EV607797

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
Many thanks, Larry.  It was really the F8 part that I couldn't remember.  What a great place for support!
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »
 :054:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
Ed you can also boot to a Linux disk with a tool to unlock the account if you can't get to it any other way.  I think I have a copy around here, but I'll need to dig for it.  Larry's trick should get you there though unless the admin account is locked with an unknown password too.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
Well, because of the architecture of Windows and it being a steaming turd  - there is also this 
http://www.techworm.net/2015/02/log-administrator-account-windows-pc-image-tutorial.html
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com