Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SMART Hard Disk Drives  (Read 2050 times)

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
SMART Hard Disk Drives
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
Does anyone have any experience in restoring this type of drive after an "imminent failure" message?

I had a hard drive failure on an HP notebook which trashed Windows 7.  I did a new Windows 7 install from the restore partition and the PC is running fine.  For some reason the  drive will not "write out" the bad sector and I get the "imminent failure" message every time I boot up.   I have to press F1 on every boot up and from that point life is good.  Everything I find on line states the only solution is to replace the hard drive.  Back in the MS-DOS days I would us SpinRite to repair bad sectors and I'm thinking about making that purchase again. Does anyone use SpinRite today?     
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Re: SMART Hard Disk Drives
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »
Replace the drive.

We use SpinRite (seriously THE best hard drive maintenance utility on the market) all the time and you'll probably get that failure message from SMART passed through to SpinRite, as well. When you get said error in SpinRite, you can still continue scans and bad sector marking/overwrites, etc., but you'll need to replace the drive still, as that message indicates immanent failure due to irrevocable physical damage.

Sorry for the bad news. That being said, using SpinRite is always worth a shot.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:07:43 AM »
There's not really a way to reset or ignore SMART errors that I know of. I'd just look at buying a replacement drive and cloning it using whatever clone program you like. A laptop hard-drive can be had for less then $100 and I wouldn't trust my data to something that already puked on me.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Drives for this notebook are dirt cheap, it's just the principle of replacing something that I used to fix with SpinRite. I've also read many of these messages can be false and there's no way to remove them once the data is recorded. Windows is reloaded and the PC works great but I'll buy a new HD just not to push F1 every damn time. I did read where this message will get set and the performance of the HD is not compromised.   I have a tower which let's you turn this off in the BIOS but the notebook does not allow it. I'm convinced it's nothing more than an accelerated program to sell hard drives.    

Thanks for the input guys.   :003: :054:    

S.M.A.R.T. drives are a dumb idea!   :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:44:26 PM »
I use SMART counters on my hard drives. There's only really 3 things worth watching but when they start to tick a failure is coming. Usually just a matter or days or weeks.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
This PC has very low usage but was severely bumped ( rambunctious grandson :011: )  while booted up which I'm sure damaged a sector.   I really don't like this technology and will install an SSD.  :066:  

K4LRM

www.lscg.net