Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Multiple Switches  (Read 2897 times)

Online telemarv

Multiple Switches
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:17 AM »
What is the best way to interconnect multiple switches?

Should they be daisy chained ? One switch into the nxt and so on...

Or should there be a dedicated switch that all the others switches plug into?

The reason I ask is I have customer with an Allworx who has added a new switch ( a 3rd 24 port that is daisy chained). He is now complaining that access to his server (connected to the 1st switch) slows to a crawl. To add to the issue computers are connected to the network via the built in switch in the phones. Effectly adding to the chain.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline WRichey

• Administrator
    • R&W Communications
Re: Multiple Switches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:53 AM »
If they have the uplink port we always use that and "star topology" the switches. We were always told no more than three hops from server to pc. I am sure that it's the same way here.

It would be even better if they have a backside uplink that has a much higher speed. But most folks dont know to order like that. They just buy off they shelf.
R&W Communications LLC. A true leader is born of circumstance, not voted in or hired.

Online telemarv

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »
The two switches I put in are link through gigabit ports, but this third is just on a 10/100 port.

I think I'll try a star set up with the server on a switch that also feeds the others.
Marv CCNA

Offline WRichey

• Administrator
    • R&W Communications
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:19 AM »
The 10/100 is more than likely the stove pipe. The gigabit port should be more than enough for the other switches. But it really depends on the pc's and their ability. What kind of ping times are you getting when you connect to the 10/100??
R&W Communications LLC. A true leader is born of circumstance, not voted in or hired.

Online telemarv

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »
I'll let you all know. I haven't been back there yet. I'm going to convince them tho let me swap out that one switch for one that has gigabit ports. Iwas heading there today and stopped by my network supply house to pick up another switch only to find the doors locked.

Marv CCNA

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
How'd this turn out Marv?
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online telemarv

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I ended up plugging an 8 port gigabit switch into the Allworx server and then plugged the three 24 port  switches (2 with POE) into that. It works great.
Marv CCNA