Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outlook error message  (Read 5987 times)

Offline KLD

Re: Outlook error message
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
Slight off track.....When I first worked "fiber" it was made in North Carolina.  Later, AT&T U. S. "fiber", then AT&T (Lucent) French "fibre".  Then Seicor (depending on who ordered it) it could be either.  Japan used the AT&T method under license so it is (was) "fiber".  Confusing?  You bet ch ya!

:011:
Ken passed away on November 9, 2016, and will always be remembered.
Thank you, Ken for all your years of being a moderator, member, inspiration, and friend to all.

Anyone who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of them; better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford

Ken

Online EV607797

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
Well, as if it doesn't get even more strange.  I checked one of the other computers here on the same FiOS account and it was set for 110/587, just like mine was and it has apparently been working fine through all of this.  I changed mine back to 110/587 (again) with no SSL and now it is working.  I don't get it.

Thanks for all of the attempted help though.  I'd have been totally lost.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
Well, as if it doesn't get even more strange.  I checked one of the other computers here on the same FiOS account and it was set for 110/587, just like mine was and it has apparently been working fine through all of this.  I changed mine back to 110/587 (again) with no SSL and now it is working.  I don't get it.

Thanks for all of the attempted help though.  I'd have been totally lost.

Sounds like maybe the problem was with you're account, a switch, or server on their end Ed.  In any event, glad it's resolved.  :054:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »
Well, I spoke to soon.  It is actually getting worse now.  Much worse, but I'm starting to see a pattern:

I access this e-mail account from four different devices.  On my primary PC at the office (I've designated as my master), once e-mails are read, they are deleted from the server.

On my other PC at the warehouse (different network), my netbook at home and now even my iPhone, I'm getting this "relaying denied" message, despite the fact that all four devices are now set for 110/587.

My PC at the office now works just fine, but new mail is downloaded from the server and removed according to my settings.  This makes me think that the server no longer sees me as having unread mail because technically, I don't.

My other devices are set to leave a copy of the message on the server for obvious reasons.  I like to check my mail remotely but for my office PC to ultimately hold permanent downloads of all messages.

This morning, I realized that my computer at the warehouse wasn't set to leave messages on the server, so I changed that.  That's when everything really started going downhill.  Now the only device I have that deletes mail from the server is my office PC.

With this being said, I'm not so sure that my problem has anything to do with ports being used for SMTP since changing them on the non-working devices has no effect.  Nobody else on our e-mail account is having this problem, but that's probably because their accounts are only being accessed from one machine.

Am I onto something here?  Maybe the settings on my e-mail host's server are where my problem lies?

To recap:  Office PC downloads messages and doesn't save them on the server.
My other PC, netbook and iPhone do leave them on the server and they are the ones having this problem with not being able to send.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
Ed unless I'm misunderstanding something, that really should be irrelevant.

Now I will tell you that I hate the iPhone's email client, especially for POP.  You can have a LOT of sending problems from the iPhone even when everything is set perfectly.  I know of many instances where users have to reboot the phone between reading an email from a Yahoo account, and replying to the email.

Is the computer that is successfully sending on the same LAN as the computer that is not able to send?  I ask because this really sounds like an ISP denying relay.

I personally have one computer set to remove emails from the server after X number of days.  That way there is a history on the server if I need it, but then all computers, phones, etc. get a copy of the email.  You could try that, but again I can't see that being the issue.

One other thought.  Is the computer that is successfully sending also checking a Verizon email account in addition to your regular work account?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.