Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Browsers for Seniors  (Read 4937 times)

Offline bluzman

• Technician
Browsers for Seniors
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
Greetings Friends, I know this topic has appeared here somewhere; but, cannot find it. I'm at Mom's
doin a little maint. on her pc for her. She is , lets say seasoned, and gets into more trouble than
anyone I've ever crossed.

She is not happy with MSN as her browser. Has had Firefox and Google with mixed results. Don't want to make Duck Duck Go as her default; her bank is finicky about browsers. I'm thinkin' that about covers them all. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to hook her up the best I can. I use Google Chrome and Duck on my machines at home and will likely suggest she use Firefox or Google. Suggestions please!

I come over a couple times a month and run CC Cleaner and uninstall the many unnecessary programs she tends to accumulate. I've just about got her trained to use several of the same passwords or variations of the same because she couldn't access her frequently visited sites due to  password issues.
Feel Me? :023:

I'm going to try Avast for her AV and see how that goes. So any browser suggestions would be appreciated!! Be well Folks!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Browsers for Seniors
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Well, first off Google, MSN and Duck Duck Go are not browsers they are search engines you access with a browser. Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome (in the Windows world) are browsers. Most banks prefer Internet Explorer or Firefox.  That said what I think you are doing is setting the home page on whatever browser she has to one of those search engines. People who do that often don't know how to use bookmarks and favorites or enter URLs. Rather they enter something in the search field of the home page search engine and click away ending up God knows where.

I think your question is how do you lock down Grannie's computer so she doesn't get in trouble. I was going to say you would handle this like you would with kids but kids have the capacity to understand and be taught, "seasoned" people, as you put it, often don't. I had one who couldn't even been taught how to shut down the machine properly, instead they would push the power button (that is how you turn it on, right?) and eventually the operating system got corrupted.

Maybe someone else has suggestions because I don't have any that wouldn't make the machine useless for her.

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
I don't envy you Jeff, but I do feel your pain. 

As I read your post one thought did come to mind immediately, and Hal keyed on it.  I have seen banks that you just flat could not access with anything other than Internet Explorer.  As Hal said, I believe Firefox will work with most any of them now.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
Thanks for replys Gents. Yea, I probably mis-spoke above; I do know the difference between a browser and a search engine, I thought. :002: I am not a Bill Gates fan so if it says MS the view finder goes from half full to half empty instantly. Anyway; I will suggest firefox as it doesn't have MS anywhere on it; although that could change, so far so good.

IE, firefox, google chrome, is that it? So educate this ol' geezer a bit; I need to have search engines of choice up on the menu bar? which run on the underliying browser? I don't know that I ever gave much thought to it. I currently have Chrome on one of my pc's at home and duck set as the homepage of the other; thinking of duck as a browser instead of what it is. Be Well!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
I use all three - Firefox, Chrome and IE - for different purposes. On IE and Chrome, I set the home page to NEW TAB and allow them to display recently visited sites.  This puts up icons with a small image and the URL of the sites most often accessed. That way, she wouldn't have to search every time she wanted to go somewhere that she visits often without having to learn to use bookmarks.

In addition, Chrome also displays a number of bookmarked sites as links on the Bookmark Toolbar if you allow it to display.  This is a thin, unobtrusive menu at the top of the browser.

With Firefox - and other browsers will probably do this also, I pin my most often visited sites as tabs. That way, when I open the browser, most of the places I want to go are already opened (this site is one of them).  They are always readily accessible without having to search for them or use a bookmark.

There are other, lesser-used browsers, such as Opera - but most people use one of the Big Three above.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:27 AM »
With all this concentration on making a browser fit the user, how about trying a different device, that;s already aimed at ease of use and inherently has security purposed, being that it sandboxes applications from the OS. maybe get an iPad for Mom
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
This is a big problem down here at the park.  At 71 yrs old, Sandy & I are some of the youngest people here, and they have some real problems with how their browsers and systems are set up. They don't know about "housekeeping" and sometimes they have no idea as to how to set up icons or favorites in their browsers.

Keep these tips coming...l'm all ears.
Retired Now

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
Dittos on the keep em' comin. I appreciate all responses.

:008:Let me first say after my last divorce I found a profound peace in being without a significant other!! That being said; Stacey, you rock!! And by the looks of your pic, smart, pretty, and kind. They all appear to fit!! :008: Glad you're here.   Peace!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
Awww shucks. You're making me blush.   :009:   Thank you, kindly.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss