Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Today only on GAOTD - Process Lasso  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Keighlar

Today only on GAOTD - Process Lasso
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
This is a pretty cool program.  Giveaway of the Day offers it free a couple of times a year, and it's nice to have if you run your PCs hard.  If you want it, grab it quick.  It's gone in 17 hours and 8 minutes.  :066:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/process-lasso-pro-6-7-0-34/

EDIT TO ADD:
If you're unfamiliar with Process Lasso, here's a good summary and review:
http://dottech.org/91893/windows-review-process-lasso/
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline Skip555

Re: Today only on GAOTD - Process Lasso
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »
Downloaded , instilled and registered  , I'll play with it later . Thanks Stacy  :045:
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
Thanks Stacey! :054:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline KENB

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Thank You Stacey :048:

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
Might want to check your downloads to make sure their site hasn't been compromised.  I couldn't get either the 32 or 64 bit version to complete its download this morning.  Tried a little while ago and realized it's because our Sonicwalls are killing the download citing "Suspicious#themida.4 (Trojan)." 

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »
Trace... GAOTD puts a wrapper on the downloads that some firewalls don't like.  It's a known issue and causes no end of consternation. I completed the 64 bit download last night at home, scanned it and installed without a problem.  I guess I should have mentioned that, but I didn't even think of it.  I check out their offerings almost every day, but I've only downloaded a handful of them.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
Thanks Stacey.  I thought it could be a false positive, but decided I'd better mention it anyway.  :054:

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
I downloaded it but spent an hour uninstalling and cleaning up. Even though I told it not to download the extras, whether app and arcade, it did anyway. I had video pop ups about every 2 mins.
Reliable Telephone Service

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
I downloaded it but spent an hour uninstalling and cleaning up. Even though I told it not to download the extras, whether app and arcade, it did anyway. I had video pop ups about every 2 mins.

I had the same experience Mark and the license was never sent to my email.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:51 PM »
I wonder if their site got compromised? That may have been what our Sonicwalls were blocking.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
downloaded and installed fine for me , no issues got the email with the licensee right off
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline KENB

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 06:27:10 PM »
Same here  no problem

only one piece offered to update drivers and then asked for $$$
but is a separate piece to ignore

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:06 AM »
I'm sorry you guys had problems.  I had none.  No pop-ups, no extras and had the license emailed within 30 seconds.  I use that site quite often.  I never would have suggested it if it had ever given me an issue.  Sorry guys.
Dr Seuss

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
IDK if this has anything at all to do with it.  Article is dated 1/5/14:

http://dottech.org/142738/thousands-of-users-are-infected-by-malware-thanks-to-yahoo-ads/

"In the last couple of days the Yahoo ads has been struck by malware and thousands people have been infected as a result. This news was revealed by Fox-IT, a firm specializing in Internet security. Fox-IT stated that “clients visiting yahoo.com received advertisements served by ads.yahoo.com. Some of the advertisements are malicious.”

It isn’t clear if these malicious advertisements also made all of Yahoo’s ad network, which is managed by Media.net, or if the malicious ads appeared on yahoo.com and related Yahoo properties only."

The firm guesses that the number of users that the malware attack — which targeted Windows users — reached as many as over ten thousand users per hour.

“Given a typical infection rate of 9%, this would result in around 27,000 infections every hour,” Fox-IT said.

The infection rate is so high primarily because the malicious ads were a drive-by attack. In other words, anyone that visit a website with a malicious ad (e.g. yahoo.com) was infected automatically — you didn’t have to actually download anything to be infected.
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
I think you may have hit on it Stacey, and that explains what I was seeing.

Across our WAN all the Sonicwalls have CFS (Content Filtering Service) enabled.  In our CFS custom lists we have probably 50-100 sites that supply the bulk of the ads across the internet.  That keeps us from seeing any ads, pop ups, etc.  On this site for example I see no ads at the top or bottom of the page.  The issue there is that sometimes have to bypass the CFS to get to a legitimate site.  This would normally happen if the site was a hand off that counts clicks for pay per click ads.

When I tried to download the software I would partially get there and then it would just stop and tell me the download failed.  Later that day I bypassed the CFS figuring it was a blocked ad site, and that's when the Sonicwall Gateway AV quickly shut it down and gave me the Trojan warning. 

The CFS blocked me from getting the download because of an ad, but when I opened it up for the ad to appear it caught the Trojan.

And no worries.  We know you'd never post a bad link.  My suspicion was that their site had somehow been compromised.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »
Not to worry Stacey, it wasn't a big deal.  I still have the program but not the full license. For some reason I didn't receive it, but when I tried again it stated I've already received the license.  I did check to make sure I enter the email address correctly.

I still have 100% faith in everything you post!   :066:  That could have happened at any site!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
I use adblockers for all my browsers, too, and rarely see any ads or pop-ups even on legitimate sites. I love it.  Perhaps that's why I had no bells or whistles go off.  In any case, thank you both for the vote of confidence... but I still feel bad.  :056:
Dr Seuss

Offline telemarv

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
I had no issue downloading. Like you Stacey, I use ad-blocker. No pop-ups no website ads. I never got the licence either (probably popup blocker) but the program installed and works. I've since deleted it though, to me it's just another program running in the background taking memory and slowing down the entire computer that I'll never use while.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »
Is ad blocker different from pop up blocker?
Reliable Telephone Service

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Is ad blocker different from pop up blocker?

Mark I'm not sure what they're using, but what I was referring to is on our physical hardware firewall at the gateway.  Hal recently configured his router to do the same thing where certain ad sites never make it past the device.

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
I use the Adblock Plus add-on.  It's not configured in the router but on a per browser basis.  Awesome little piece of software.  Just navigate to the following address from each browser that you use and it automatically detects your browser and offers you the appropriate add-on.

https://adblockplus.org/en
Dr Seuss