Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HP Netbook dreadfully slow  (Read 1768 times)

Online EV607797

HP Netbook dreadfully slow
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
Hey, All:

I have an HP Netbook using Windows 7 (Starter Edition) that has become dreadfully slow in processing.  It is most noticeable with videos which are almost to the point of being freeze frames.  I don't think that it is my WiFi connection speed, but more of a graphics or processor issue.  I'm wondering if this thing has been hijacked and is running something in the background.

I have it set up for automatic updates from Microsoft and I run CCleaner on it regularly but it doesn't seem to be having any positive effect.  I recently removed Avaya's ADMIN program which seemed to help at first.  It took up a huge amount of memory.  Now I realize that this wasn't the culprit at all.

My first thought was that maybe I don't have enough RAM, but it was great until a few months ago and I haven't knowingly added any programs that would affect processing.

Of course, the 'three finger salute' gets me to the task manager, but I really don't know what should and shouldn't be there.  Any ideas on a way to find out what is going on? 
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: HP Netbook dreadfully slow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
Ed my bet would be that you took an automatic update that has killed you.  Personally we never enable that and I feel MS auto update is evil.  In fact when it comes to Microsoft I'm more afraid of the fix than the threat.

When you do your three finger salute, go to the Processes Tab and then click to sort by CPU usage.  You may have to click it twice, but we want to sort from most to least.  System Idle Process will likley be using the most, but that's ok.  It's benign and is basically just where the balance of your available CPU usage is going.  See if you have anything that is just choking you to death like Tea Timer or something like that.  Often one of the AV or Spyware prevention programs will be the culprit.

That said there are some video realated issues on some computers when it comes to Youtube that I have never seen resolved.  Other sites will be fine, but with Youtube it will appear to be a bandwidth problem, however constantly wiggling the progress bar slightly on the video will cause it to buffer more effectively.  I think in those cases the reason it starts out of no where is that Youtube (not you) has upgraded their Flash related programs.  If that's the issue, and you find a fix PLEASE POST IT.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
I have a Gateway variant of the netbook that I use for portable surfing...I like the keyboard better than the touch screen. That being said Windows 7 Starter is a dog. Most of these netbooks also have 1 GIG of RAM. Mine worked fairly well until AVG did an update. It did what you are describing. I deinstalled AVG and went to Avast!. Works like it used to now. I have ordered an SSD drive and a 2 Gig RAM module ($18 for the memory). From what I  have seen from other users this upgrade will make a huge performance difference. My wife has a tablet and I am still faster and more accurate with the netbook keyboard.

Online telemarv

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
Try disabling your anti-virus. I only run my anti once a week, just long enough to to do a scan then I shut it down.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
Yep, as mentioned above updates usually are the culprit.
Was your Internet Explorer upgraded to 10 or 11 recently? We have had many, many problems with IE10 and IE11.

If you're not sure, open Internet Explorer and click on "Help", then click on "About Internet Explorer" and it will tell you the version you have.
If it is 10 or 11 you may want to revert back to 9 for the time being.