Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Email issues  (Read 2898 times)

Offline MooreTel

Email issues
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
I use GMail for my personal email account.  I had it set up so I could download to MS Outlook, then delete the email on the server.  Everything worked great until.....

First, I had downloaded & installed "Hotspot Shield" so that I could listen to my favourite US radio statiion in Detroit.  Then I forgot about it.  I then had major issues with most of my email accounts, to the point where I called my ISP as I thought that they were having issues.  Finally took the tower to my CG who found the Hotspot Shield and uninstalled it.  That cleared my issues.

I did some research & found that I could temporarily disable it, so I reinstalled it and had no further issues.

Secondly, I upgraded my cell phone to a so-called "Smart Phone" and set it up for my email accounts, business & personal.  Then issues started again.

I had to configure Outlook NOT to delete emails from server after downloading.  I also disabled the auto download.  I configured the GMail account itself not to delete messages after downloading (I'll do it manually whenever).  So far, so good.

Now I find that I'll receive emails, but not all on either my cell or on Outlook.  If I go to the browser, I can see them.  Any idea why both the cell & Outlook will get one or two but not all.  This appears only to be happening with GMail.
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Email issues
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
I haven't personally fought the problem Dave, but I do know it's a known issue.  You have to enable recent mode to download across multiple POP clients, but again I'm not familiar with it.  Here are a couple of links that might help though:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/75947?hl=en

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/-xOIwHc2Abk

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Just made that change (1st link).  We'll let you know....

Thanks
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
I would suggest setting up the service for IMAP instead of POP and everything will sync exactly the same, be it server, phone, email client or what not.

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en#ts=1665018
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
I'm glad you said that Tony.  Like I said, I haven't played with Gmail much.  If he does that, the notification will update, but the actual email won't come down to the device.  Is that correct? 

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
When I first started having issues with Gmail, I set up another email service on a trial basis and tried that way.  Found it to take too long to sync when I downloaded on my PC....

Trace's solution seems to be working so far, but if I still miss emails, it's worth a try.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »
Thanks for the update Dave.  Glad to hear it's working. :054: