Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Notebook PC's  (Read 3481 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Notebook PC's
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
It's time to look at getting a new notebook PC again.  I used to have good luck with Dell years ago but changed to HP/Compaq when Dell had problems.   Now I'm not very happy with HP and their India support team!  I'm looking at Vision Computers and wonder if any was has a computer from them.

http://www.visioncomputers.com/websiteinfo.asp?fc=94
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

Re: Notebook PC's
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »
Don't know anyone with a Vision notebook but I got a gateway LT4010u last Christmas . I like it. :011:

Offline Skip555

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
this new HP chromebook looks interesting , Suzi has a chromebook that she bought last year and she loves it she uses it when she travels to access email and the net , you can do google docs with it and it came with two years off 100gb cloud storage . it does have its limitations as a internet device and you cant load programs on it since chrome is the OS and you   couldn't use it to program  systems

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/08/google-reveals-hp-chromebook-11-a-279-chrome-os-notebook-that-charges-via-micro-usb/
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »
We have started using the Lenovo notebooks that have the screen that turns around and lays down like a tablet.  As with all of our Lenovo/IBM notebooks we've been very happy with them and all technical support is out of Atlanta, GA.  The key is to always make sure whatever you're buying has the word "Think" in its name, such as ThinkPad, ThinkStation, etc.  Those are the commercial line products.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E525 running Windows 7 64 bit and it's a little wonky with some of my programming software.  For example, I have a VMI System Editor for Iwatsu voicemail cards that connects fine locally, and used to connect fine remotely.  One day it just stopped working for remote only.  If I pull out my other laptop using the same connection, it works fine.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but no go.  Trying to start this thing up outside of the network takes FOREVER.  It's like it doesn't want to give up looking for those non-existent connections.

Maybe I'm just not smart enough to know what needs to be done to fix these issues, but other than that, it's been a fine laptop.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »
We have started using the Lenovo notebooks that have the screen that turns around and lays down like a tablet.  As with all of our Lenovo/IBM notebooks we've been very happy with them and all technical support is out of Atlanta, GA.  The key is to always make sure whatever you're buying has the word "Think" in its name, such as ThinkPad, ThinkStation, etc.  Those are the commercial line products.
Never heard of vision...

I agree with Lenovo. I've had Lenovo/IBM think series last for a long time when properly maintained in the field. My vote is for a Lenovo ThinkPad. That also depends on how you'll use it, where you'll use it and what programs you want to run on it. You may not need a full powered, beast of a system if you're only running an admin software and doing emails/basic browsing

What all you plan on doing with said device?
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »
I'll also give my vote for the ThinkPad.  I have a ThinkPad 410 with 8-Gig memory, a SSD, and Windows 7.  Takes about 30 seconds to boot completely.

Offline mikem

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »
I agree Lenovo is a good choice.  We have a number of laptops here which are a mix of Dell, MSI, HP, Toshiba, and Lenovo.  Of all of them, the Lenovo's have been the best performers.  Also, If you can find it, stick with Windows 7 Pro, 64bit.  I haven't been impressed with Windows 8. (Just my opinion though)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
That is somewhat similar.  I bought mine "off-lease", so it would be  little older than that one.