Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Server Racks  (Read 3305 times)

Offline JeffE

• Technician
Server Racks
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »
I didn't know where to post this but..

Does anyone have any experience with StarTech server racks?

http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/Racks/22U-36in-Knock-Down-Server-Rack-Cabinet-with-Caster~RK2236BKF

They get pretty good reviews on Amazon, except for the packaging.  Seems like a decent price point.
I can find 80+ inch ones like new for $300 but I don't want to lug something that large into the basement.

And I need to check the HP servers I bought and make sure they will fit. :022:

Open to other suggestions as well.

TIA   Jeff

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

Re: Server Racks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
Might want to look at Great Lakes and APC cabinet products. We use them extensively with great results.

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »
StarTech is a cheaper rack. The metal will be a little thinner and it won't take as much abuse. If you are going to sit it in the basement and be somewhat gentle with it it will probably be just fine. If you are going to be constantly racking in and out of it then you might want to invest in some equipment shelves and just slide the servers in on those.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
agree with Kumba - the stuff isn't meant for abuse, but if you're buying on price alone, it's amongst the lowest.

we typically use TrippLite http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/server-rack-cabinet-cooling.cfm or Great Lakes, as rbf said
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline JeffE

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
A Tripp lite SR25UB is in the $850 range, the StarTech is arount $500, I can find all kinds of used 42U racks for sale for as low as $300 for two.

This is more or less for a hobby, a couple of HP rack servers, and some telephone gear,  I just can't bring myself to spend even $500 bucks on a cabinet for play stuff.  :023:

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
Absolutely. If this isn't for a production business environment, then go cheap. Check craigslist too. When some business associates of mine were moving into a new office, we found a Dell 42U fully enclosed, lockable vented rack for $400 delivered.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com