Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lost monitor output on PC  (Read 5405 times)

Online EV607797

Lost monitor output on PC
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
We have an old Dell PC that we use via "LogMeIn" at the office.  We access it from our Iphones, etc. for remote dial up access to systems.  Because of this, we have never needed it to have a monitor.  I was always able to just hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get the network login screen, then blindly type in the password and all was fine.

We recently moved this PC to a new location and I cannot connect to it remotely anymore.  Obviously, I need a monitor so that I can see why it isn't working.  The problem is that the factory equipped this PC with a card that converted the standard VGA output to some white connector that I've never seen before.  Because of this, the standard on-board VGA monitor has apparently been disabled.  None of our monitors have this strange-looking connector, so I am assuming that at some point this monitor went bad and it got pitched.

I am hoping for a way to remove this card from the system and gain access to the original VGA output for connection to a more traditional monitor.  Am I pissing up a rope or is there some magic boot sequence that I can follow that will circumvent any add-on devices or settings to allow the VGA output to work?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Lost monitor output on PC
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »
the standard on-board VGA monitor has apparently been disabled

That's good.  Remove the other video card and install a new one, you should get a default screen which will allow you to set up the drivers and adjust the screen resolution.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »
Ed it sounds like it's a DVI interface.  It probably has some sideways knife prong in the mix as well.  They are odd looking if you've never seen them.  You can actually get a DVI to VGA adapter or cable.  Look online first at images to make sure what you have is some sort of DVI.  

If you hook a monitor to the VGA port do you see anything at the very beginning of the boot cycle?  If so you may be able to go into bios at boot and use the VGA monitor.  If you're not seeing anything at boot, then the video may actually be assigned in bios in which case you could perhaps default the bios.

If not the gender bender, and you see nothing at boot on the VGA port, I would probably pull the DVI card and go from there, but then again my mother said I always did take things apart to see if I could figure out how they worked.

Added:  Looks like Larry and I were posting at the same time.  I guess that's two votes for yanking the old card.   :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
You're right, Trace.  It is DVI and yes, it does have the sideways blade.  What is so frustrating is that we bought three of these machines and they came with a blue VGA adapter that (of course) just got pitched since it obviously would never be needed.   :031:

I guess I'll give pulling the card out a shot since connecting a VGA monitor to the VGA port gives me nothing, even when booting.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »
Yep, Dell is a little strange when it comes to on board video connections.
Along with some of the pointers given so far if you can provide the service tag I can probably hook you up with whatever adapter you 'will need to get it going.
It should be on a sticker on the top of the cabinet.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »
I guess I'll give pulling the card out a shot since connecting a VGA monitor to the VGA port gives me nothing, even when booting.

Any luck Ed?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online EV607797

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »
Not yet, Larry.  The PC is connected in our new warehouse and we are operating out of temporary offices across town until our new offices are ready.  We had our phone service installed over there so that we wouldn't have to pay to move it again.  We are running on IP phones at the temporary offices until then.

I just haven't had the need to run over to the warehouse for anything yet, but I'll probably mess with it some more tomorrow. 
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online EV607797

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
Well, pulling the card worked.  After a few minor monitor resolution adjustments, it is working just fine.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

On another note, I took the same router that we've been using for years to this location and cannot get an Internet connection to save my life.  I can ping IP addresses all day long with no problem.  The PC is set for DHCP and the router works fine at the original location.  Any ideas?

I tried changing over to a static IP and connected directly to the IAD, but still no luck.  I know that the CLEC technician connected his laptop this way and used one of our IP addresses with no problem.  When I tried using the same IP address he used (without the router) and I can't get anywhere.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
Does the router get a dynamic address from the IAD, or do you set up a static address in it? 

When you say you can ping IP addresses, do you mean on your LAN, or to the outside world?  If you can ping outside like to 4.2.2.2 then it's sounding like a DNS problem.  Perhaps your router was set to dole out DNS from a server that you don't have access to on the subnet where you're located now. 

That 4.2.2.2 IP address I asked if you could ping is an open DNS server.  If you can ping the outside world, you might try setting that as your primary DNS and see if you can surf.

Online EV607797

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
Trace, I do not believe that the IAD is functioning as a DHCP server, hence the reason that the CLEC's technician was able to access the Internet by manually entering one of our static IP addresses in his laptop.  I agree that this sounds more like a DNS issue, since I am able to ping addresses in the outside world.  That was my first thought as well. 

I had a brain fart and put my primary DNS in as 4.4.4.4 when I put a static IP address into the router, but now that you mentioned 4.2.2.2, that may be my problem.  Still, should that affect my inbound connectivity?  My "LogMeIn" service is not working to this machine.  I wouldn't think that a DNS issue would affect inbound activity.  I'm also unable to ping this router from the outside, so I may have a subnet issue as well.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
Many routers swallow the ping.  They won't reply unless configured to do so for security reasons, so that could be why you're not getting a response.  As for the inbound connectivity, I'm not that familiar with LogMeIn, but I bet that it has to first contact the mothership so that the LogMeIn servers know where to find it.  Then you're probably connecting through their servers to get to your box.  If that's the case then I would think that could very well be an issue.  I think 4.4.4.4 is a google DNS though.

l suppose if that wasn't fixing it, I'd go to the least common denominator.  I'd take a laptop like the tech did, configure it with a static address and DNS and once I got it working correctly I'd default the router and configure the WAN side of the router with whatever you used in the laptop.

One crazy question though.  Are you using the same cable to connect the router to the IAD that he used to connect the laptop to the IAD?  If so you may be using a crossover cable instead of a patch.

Offline JeffE

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

One crazy question though.  Are you using the same cable to connect the router to the IAD that he used to connect the laptop to the IAD?  If so you may be using a crossover cable instead of a patch.

Ed said he could ping the outside world, could he do that with a crossover cable connected?

J

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 07:05:16 PM »

Ed said he could ping the outside world, could he do that with a crossover cable connected?

That's a very good point Jeff.  If he could ping the outside world by IP then I'd say you're right and that pretty much rules out the cable.  I wasn't completely sure he meant he was pinging the outside world or if he was just pinging IPs on the LAN.  I would agree that the outside world was implied though.  Good catch. :054:

Offline JeffE

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
Ed -- did you get this computer to respond ??

You didn't say what operating system it has.   I once had a problem with WinXP where it was defaulted to look out to the WWW for it's first connection,  and it would take it like 20-30 minutes to actually come back to the local network for a login.   I can't put my finger on exactly what or where I changed settings, but I could do some digging for you.

Also if you powered this machine down and relocated it, perhaps stored it for a few days the old configuration may just need dusting off.   I'd try stopping file and print sharing services and restarting the service.  Or make sure that it is running in services.   :032:

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
This is getting a little confusing to follow but it does seem like a DNS issue.

I would be interested in knowing if LogMeIn works manually.

Online EV607797

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
Well, I'm checking back in to let everyone know that I finally got this issue resolved.  It turned out that the ISP had given me all kinds of bad IP address and DNS information.  Once I got someone on the phone who cared, it was working within minutes. 

Apparently, since we recently moved, they had our old and new locations confused.  The information that they were giving me pertained to our old site, where the IAD no longer even exists.  Once they gave me the correct information for the new location, it all made much more sense.

As always, many thanks for the information and suggestions. :054:
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
That would certainly explain all the issues.  Glad you got it fixed.  :054: