Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comcast Tech leaves customer dead in the water  (Read 22891 times)

Offline Skip555

Comcast Tech leaves customer dead in the water
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:51 AM »
Yellow cab company here just converted dial tone to comcast . the Comcast rep told them "you don't need your vendor we can handle the cut over ".

customer called me in the morning with a minor question which I answered and he told me the comcast guy was there converting him ...

I get a panicked call at 3:30 from the office manger . no calls are ringing in , Comcast tech says " it works on our end call your phone vendor " so I wrap up what Im doing and head out there . I find:

Line one , still getting dial tone from verizon , line was ported so incoming calls are ringing to comcast but not through to the phone system

line two , dead on the system , traced to a bad punch down looks like he reversed the tool and cut the wrong side

line three and four reversed

line five also still on verizon no calls ringing through

line 6 and fax where OK

talking to the customer they where down all day and then the tech just said it works on our end and left

I know none of us would walk out and leave a customer unable to receive calls , especially one that relies on calls  as heavily as a Cab company . this was a easy fax that minimal troubleshooting skills  resolved in less than a hour

I had them functional and receiving calls in 20 minutes but then I re-terminated the mess the Comcast tech had left and tested so it was a little over a hour all told

used to be on a Cut the lEC or ClEC would tell the customer to have the phone vendor there to handle it to insure minimal downtime now I'm finding the sales guys are saying we aren't needed their guys can handle it so they put the customer at risk just to make a sale 
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Comcast Tech leaves customer dead in the water
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
I see this all the time with Comcast.  Most of their installers are contract labor who get paid a set price per job. Because of this policy non of these techs spend any time checking anything. Watch for voicemail on line one, comcast always post their voicemail on line one on matter how much you tell them not to. I will be hell finding anyone in Comcast capable of removing it. 

On Monday I received a call from a customer who couldn't make outgoing calls and Comcast told them to call their vendor. This service was working just fine for 2 years but the customer is downsizing and requested lines 7 and 8 be removed.  I got a decent Comcast tech who looked up the order which was interpreted to "remove lines 1 through 8."   The comcast person who handled to order couldn't even handle that correctly and instead of removeing the lines, removed outbound access.  Ninety perscent of this customers phone traffic is outgoing and they were left without service. 
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:57:14 AM »
Of course this type of thing has been happening for many years.  It's what we expect now.  

Two years ago we started to put in SIP trunks.  It's really eliminated all of the LEC & CLEC technician crap---.  We order the business class internet circuit from Comcast or Charter.  The only thing they can then screw up is the internet.  Most of the time they get it done OK.  I then order the SIP trunks---having the first line ported over.  It's all done remotely and in minutes.  Once all the info is given to the carrier, it's really simple.  We have a nice hour service call to physically disconnect the lines and make sure everything is dressed up nice at the MDF.  Sometimes we have to move the Comcast router---because the tech put it in a place that makes no sense...but most of the time---he follows our written directions and puts it where it's supposed to be.

But......the customer has to have a VoIP-type system, capable of handling SIP trunks.  However, to me---this deal about the trunks and lines is really what makes a VoIP system worth it.  We get to control more of the line/trunk operation and install.  It's not perfect, but it's better than what we had with the old copper lines and the EMTAs.

Since we are now Comcast & Charter "partners"--there is no sales person telling them a bunch of lies.  I handle the "sales" and all of the information that needs to be sent to the SIP provider.  Our number & name are on all orders.  If there's a problem, they contact us.  It's not a bad deal.
Retired Now

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Funny, funny, funny.  This morning (Saturday) at about 10:30, I get a call from a customer who switched from TDS (frac T-1) to Comcast.  Customer say the Comcast tech was there at 4:00pm and left at 6:00pm---saying that he just didn't know enough about the programming of the telephone system that they had on site.  Customer had internet service (TDS) but no phone service.  

I sent a reluctant tech there and here's what he found.  The Comcast tech had taken the line cords from his 8-port EMTA and plugged them into the 66 block of TDS---where they had come off of their T-1.  (pause)....(pause)....(pause....) WTF????   That's what that stupid SOB did.  He has no concept of what a telephone system does and no basic common sense.

Our tech un-plugged the line cords from TDS and plugged the Comcast lines from the EMTA into the phone system, tested them, dressed them up and was gone.

Now, it wasn't all HIS (Comcast geek, IT, idiot, terrorist-person's) fault--I know.  But he could have, at least given us a call, and we could have either sent a tech out there or we could have walked him through the unplugging and plugging operation.  But no---he leaves---with HIS customer without service of any kind.

Also---the main line has VM on it.  Luckily they set it up for 6 rings---not one ring like they usually do.  In five years from now, we'll have almost everyone switched over to SIP trunks, maybe.  Goodbye TDS and frac-T-1s, goodbye Comcast techs doing anything besides installing a HighSpeed internet circuit.  

Monday, I'll send Joe out there to check on their internet.  I'll bet they sold them a dynamic IP.  What a deal.........losers....
Retired Now

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »
As I've said before, that crap will stop when the customer demands money or credit for maybe 6 months worth of service because they misrepresented the capability of their tech. Consequently the customer lost business and had to pay their own tech for an emergency service call. Had the sales person informed the customer that they would have to have their tech on site for the cutover all would have been well, or at least the customer was given all the facts to make a decision with. But the sales person was eager to make the sale so they weren't about to throw a monkey wrench into the deal by saying the installation is free but you have to pay your own tech to be there to do the cutover.

I've thought about sending all my customers a notice telling them that if they are considering changing to another service like cable or FiOS it would be wise to inform us about it so we can schedule a service call to be there for the installation. That's the only way you can be sure your equipment will be connected properly to your new lines and of minimal down time.

But unfortunately I doubt there will be few believers since after the fact when we are called we always get "I had no idea. The salesman said their tech will handle everything". I can understand the customer's reluctance since they only had experience with an ILEC who had techs who could do an installation. But they need to understand that we are now in the new age of incompetence.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Skip555

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
he leaves---with HIS customer without service of any kind.

thats my biggest gripe , OK  so they don't train them beyond the basics but when things aren't working shouldn't the tech call in a supervisor or find someone who has a clue rather than shrugging and leaving the customer without service

the LECS wouldn't touch customer equipment for this reason .. we are cutting at a certain time at a certain day and have your vendor there  now comcast and the like in order to make the sale throw it on their under trained techs ( many of whom don't seem to have much common sense )

@ Hal , my customer is furios , I heard on the phone with comcast telling them they would pay my invoice and saying "I thought you had well TRAINED  techs "
Skip

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
that crap will stop when the customer demands money or credit for maybe 6 months worth of service

They don't seem to care Hal! Every time I go out on a call that ends up to be a Comcast problem, they issue a credit equal to my bill submitted to them by the customer.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
As I've said before, that crap will stop when the customer demands money or credit for maybe 6 months worth of service because they misrepresented the capability of their tech.

They can actually back-charge the LEC.  One of my techs was an engineer for a CLEC back before they underwent all the buyouts, and he told me it's not that uncommon.  You bill your client and they submit it to the LEC for payment.  I'm sure some LECs are easier to deal with than others, but the worst that can happen is that it doesn't get paid.  
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Spuds

• Pro Shop Member
    • Telephone Systems Boise Idaho
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
The hardest part of all of this is they provide at a minimum a 4 hour window on when the will be on site. Around here it is typically from 8am to 5pm. I had a Fire Station that they left out of service. This was Cable One not Comcast same service different name. They were out of service about 3 hours. All of the dispatch is done by radio. What a bunch of tools.

-Mike

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
This is why I say sue them. I know what you are saying Trace but just covering the bill for the phone tech doesn't cut it. Now I know that these jerks have verbiage in their contract that relieves them of liability for your lost business due to outages. But I think you could argue that the contract begins when service begins. So since you never had service and they disconnected your existing service leaving you high and dry costing you business I think you have a claim for $$$$$$$$.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Skip555

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
what got to me on this one was being a cab company it wasn't just the owner losing business it was the drivers struggling to get by sitting out there with no fares
Skip

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »
This is why I say sue them.

I hear you Hal.  We have a philosoply in our office; "Don't hesitate; litigate."

I had one cry uncle today and agree to fix what they screwed up, and I sent the email over to send out a demand letter on another one.  In this economy you'd better be willing to fight, otherwise you're going to get cheated; a LOT.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.