Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ethernet Controller Drivers  (Read 2075 times)

Offline bluzman

• Technician
Ethernet Controller Drivers
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »
Hi to All, Just bought a used computer from a guy. It works well; but when I tried to connect to internet it wouldn't connect. I ended up in device mgr. where I found one of those yellow question marks adjacent the NIC. Of course: no drivers. I googled ethernet controller drivers and didn't have much luck; other than sites that want to run a scan to see what driver/s you need. If I could do that I wouldn't need the drivers. And by-the-way it is an XP machine. Not sure which Ser. release, although it is Home Edition. The machine is at home so I don't have access to it here,  TIA!!

TGIF!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Ethernet Controller Drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Jeff I've fought that one many times.  Unfortunately ss cheap as ethernet cards are now at the big box stores, it's been my experience that you're just better off picking up a new card with the driver disk in the box.  Maybe one of the other guys will have a magic bullet.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
is it a name brand PC like dell , you may be able to get drivers from their site or or the NIC or motherboard manufacturer's site (if its built in ) . Traces suggestion is probably the best though

just looking at amazon you can get a USB nic for 15 or so , a internal one for less than 10

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20eterhnet

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nic&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anic
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online telemarv

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
A third option is to re-install windows. it will have a generic driver.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:16:14 AM »
I typically have the best luck with looking at the serial number, Googling it and finding drivers that way. I also agree with MacGyver on getting a NIC for cheap that has a disc in box. If you want, I have a handful of TrendNet NIC in box, from a closed business. It's yours for shipping
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com