Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network Connections  (Read 5014 times)

Offline bluzman

• Technician
Network Connections
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »
Greetings All, I was attempting to connect one of our laptops to a ksu this afternoon and was unable to connect. Relying on my limited memory to reconfigure the network connections of a community notebook. It used to work?? Anyway, there are 3 options (1394, LAC, and Wireless). Wireless option excluded, what's the difference between 1394 and Local Area Connection options

When I enter the gateway address of the KSU into the TCP/IP properties of the Local Area Connections option I get limited connectivity. The 1394 option is set to Automatic IP addressing. If I switch the previous settings (1394 designated ip address/ LAN option with auto-detect) I get the big red X on the pc icon in the prog, tray. Make any sense? I guess what I'm after is what is the difference between the options? Different ethernet adapters?  TIA!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Network Connections
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »
Are you connecting directly from the laptop to the ksu with a cable? Do you know what the IP address and the gateway is of the KSU ? What is the laptop OS?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Skip555

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
which system ?

are you assigning  a static IP to your laptop in the scheme of the KSU ?
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
..................... When I enter the gateway address of the KSU into the TCP/IP properties of the Local Area Connections option I get limited connectivity. ...........

You do not put the IP of the KSU into the TCP/IP on your laptop.
If you are connecting directly to the KSU, then you want to add one number to the last digit and put that in your laptop.

Example:  KSU :  10.10.11.1
  Your   laptop :  10.10.11.2

And you want to use the Local Area Connection.
Depending on the KSU - most likely you should be using a Cross-over network cable.

It would be much helpful to give us the Equip you are trying to connect to.

Now if you are connecting through a switch, gateway, router, etc....  then you would set it up differently.
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Offline telemarv

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:13:14 AM »
Direct connect you also probably need a crossover cable.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:07 AM »
To be more specific; I am attempting to connect to a SL1100 with a laptop pc running Win XP. I am connecting to the SL1100 directly with a CAT5e patch cord. The ip address of SL1100 is 192.168.0.22, I entered (use the following ip address) 192.168.0.10 into the box of Local Area Connection w/ a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I've connected to this ksu a dozen times, so I am at a loss.

TIA!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Turn off all firewall settings on the laptop.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
I've connected to this ksu a dozen times, so I am at a loss.

With the same cable?   Does the SL1100 require a crossover cable?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online Skip555

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »
is  192.168.0.22 set as the gateway ?

can you ping  192.168.0.22

can you go in through phone programing and confirm the IP and sub mask of the SL1100 ?

I m pretty sure you don't need a crossover cable for that but its easy enough to try

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online Keighlar

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
Sl1100 does not require a crossover.  It's PCPro or WebPro using port 80.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
Hey Folks, Just got back from site awhile ago. I spent what seemed like hours on my cell with tech support. We altered programming through the telephone (DHCP settings). We configured my network connections every way but Friday. Changed ip addresses of both the SL110 and my laptop. I'm sure we did stuff I can't recall. We even tried to connect to the SL1100 through the customers network. Every ping request, timed out. And the connection icon in the system tray constantly signals 100Mbps. The tech from NEC was superb, although exasperated. His last reply was it's gotta be your NIC card. I'll post the final outcom if I don't drown tonight in my margarita glass. Thanks to all for tips!! I'm off to my local mexican watering hole to see if I can tread tequila!! :011:
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Well, if you have it on the customer's network and it's assigned an IP through DHCP, have you tried accessing it through some other computer?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
In addition to the above mentioned you might try setting the subnet to 255.255.0.0 or even 255.0.0.0
Also, try to ping the IP address that you set in the PC. (PING your own IP address) If you get reply's in all likelihood the NIC card in the PC is functioning properly.

Run a command: IPCONFIG /ALL to verify your IP settings. ( IPCONFIG {space} \ALL )

The settings below seem to work for me more often than not when connecting directly with a cross over cable.
Example: IP address: 192.168.1.10
                   Subnet: 255.255.0.0
                 Gateway: 192.168.1.10
                       DNS: 192.168.1.10

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
 :022: That is interesting (being able to ping your own ip address). Thanks for that tidbit!! My (Toshiba) laptop is currently being examined by the local CG and was told that I'd know something by lunch or shortly there-after. If I'm told by said CG that my NIC card is bad, I'll feel much better. Between my limited knowledge and y'alls help, (oh yea and NEC"S Tech), if the NIC card is good both NEC and I are going to feel like complete idiots.

I guess it's not the first time and probably won't be the last.  Thanks to All for the feedback. I'll be back. :022:
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »
Finally got laptop back from CG. The NIC card was bad. Even though the card was showing connectivity, replacing the card fixed the problem. Go figure. They didn't exactly replace the card. They gave me some kind of network adapter that plugs into a USB slot. Said the card couldn't be replaced.
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
Sounds like a typical Toshiba problem, LoLz. I've had nothing but trouble with their computer line. Always the cheapest, but odd problems abound. Glad to hear they got it working for ya dude, even if it is a USB->NIC now. They're easy to replace :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com