Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem with Outlook 2013  (Read 3414 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Problem with Outlook 2013
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
I just installed Office 2013 on a customer's Win 7 machine. I set up an account in Outlook that apparently works fine. Small problem is nothing is displayed in the in box or sent items. I can send a test message from the machine and see the notification pop up at the lower right. Matter of fact there were about 150 messages received, probably junk because it was an old mailbox, but where the hell are they?

As for Win 7 and Office 2013, why the hell can't Microsoft leave things alone. Every new version seems to be aimed at dumber and dumber people. It took me about 15 minutes to find where to add an account probably because they don't want Suzy Secretary playing with it. Microsoft says that you should have done that when you open it the first time after you install it. WTF!

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Problem with Outlook 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »
That's an odd one Hal.  We never moved to 2010 because of the way Microsoft changed the Select Pack licensing in later versions.  Are you using IMAP instead of POP3?  Also is this on an Exchange Server?  Marc might be of some help on this one.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
Marc might be of some help on this one.

I got nothing...

Oh maybe one thing...

Have you looked for "Unread Messages" in the Favorites section? I'm still using Outlook 2010 and I haven't even seen 2013, so I don't what they've changed.

One other thing...

Can you even see the "Inbox" folder? Have you expanded the mailbox?

Okay... that's three things. Math never was a good subject for me.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »
Just a POP3 account.  First time with 13, everything is 10 and 13 is all glitz. Yes, I can see all the folders, they are empty. I found that I can open an incoming message if I catch and click on the notification down at the bottom right. I'll check out the favorites section.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online telemarv

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:14 AM »
I know it's a long shot and doubtful, but I'm using 2010. Are there any weird default rules?
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:12:10 AM »
Can't see how Marv, it's right out of the box.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
Hal I keep thinking maybe a corrupted Outlook profile.  You've probably already thought of this, but either a complete uninstall/reinstall, or at least delete or remove the .pst file and create a new profile.  
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Problem solved, Marv was on the right track. This thing has a whole set of folders just like the mail for Outlook data files. For some reason it was defaulted to display the inbox for the data files. Actually might have been me when I set it to display the inbox on startup- that was the inbox shown so I selected it. You have to dig to find the mail inbox. Then I had to play with it to display the email account folders in the left menu bar. You can only collapse the data file list, you can't remove it from the menu. All to make it look like Win 8. :035:

-Hal

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
Yep Microsoft Beta Teams recommend using  'search all outlook items' to find the random category folder the emails are deposited in and then deleting the folder thus causing them to fall into the inbox. Argghhhhh....new and improved indeed. :023: